Friday 26 August 2022

15mm Medieval Artillery

 I needed a couple of artillery pieces for my Spanish army, and these models from Essex Miniatures caught my eye:











Even though I only require two for the Spanish list, I have done six as a few will find use in other Medieval projects I have ahead of me:











Essex figures can be an acquired taste and the pointing figure seems to turn up in a few ranges, but their artillery pieces are very nice. I particularly like the siege guns, and the two with the mantlets are probably my favourite with the wood grain nicely sculpted and just pronounced enough for dry-brushing to bring it out:





















That's the artillery for this project completed:











Next up will be the last group of Spanish required, which are some lighter javelin-armed troops. I also have sixteen Swiss mercenaries to complete however which, while not strictly Spanish, are an option under the DBMM Spanish lists. I was aiming to complete the entire project by the end of August and, depending how the weekend goes, might get close.

22 comments:

  1. Some very nice work there, Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very nice work! You need a couple so you paint six!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Keith. Yes, I need some for when i get round to other medieval armies, so thought I'd get them all out of the way in one go. I then found I have enough crew left over for two more so they are now sitting in the queue.

      Delete
    3. Min you Jonathan, my efforts with medieval artillery pale into comparison next to the rate at which your production line can churn out beautiful Sumerian battle carts.

      Delete
  2. Great looking artillery, I also particularly like the mantles and it was probably just as easy to paint six as two while you were at it, very tempted to paint some renaissance Swiss but need to stick to Napoleonics until at least Christmas!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I have a hundred renaissance Swiss ahead of m. They do seem to turn up in quite a few armies of the period.

      Delete
  3. Well someone has to be pointing in order for the gun to know where to shoot…”Aim it over there! No. Over THERE! Can’t you see where I’m pointing?!” It’s an important job so need many miniatures for it. 😀

    Great looking guns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Obviously nobody has told him the guns have been hammered into the ground with big wooden logs and aren't moving.

      Delete
    2. Maybe he’s saying “get more logs from over there, that log pile.” 😀

      Delete
  4. I love the wooden doors on the cannons. Big hit of childhood nostaglia as there were some pictures of cannon like that (drawn and photo'd) in various warhammer publications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I haven't read much on the medieval period but have a few books on the shelf and must start to work my way through a few.

      Delete
  5. That is an impressive siege train Lawrence. You just need a castle now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. JR Miniatures used to do a nice Spanish castle and I would be tempted if it was still in production.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on the artillery Lawrence. I like Essex figures and you've done agood job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. They seem to have gone up quite a bit in price recently, but still have a certain charm to them.

      Delete
    2. Alas, even 15mm is not a cheap option for building an army anymore.

      Delete
  7. Great work Lawrence, I do like Essex figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Essex have one of the most impressive and complete ranges and paint up quite nicely.

      Delete
  8. My goodness Lawrence, that is a mediaeval grand battery; you are ahead of your time! Wonderful figures and guns and a marvellous array of types too.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. The variety was what attracted me to purchase these from Essex Miniatures.

      Delete
  9. Always happy to look at medieval artillery, and your collection is superb and impressive, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, they were a lot of fun to paint.

      Delete