Monday 10 June 2024

AWI British Grenadiers

The weekend saw the completion of two battalions of combined British grenadiers, representing the grenadier detachments drawn from line regiments and formed into elite battalions:











The first grenadier battalion had detachments from 4th, 5th, 10th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 28th, 33rd, 35th, 38th and 44th regiments, from which I used 4th, 5th 23rd, 27th, 33rd and 38th, seen here below in that order from left to right:











These are all in the advancing pose and had some nicely raised details, such as the grenade badge on the cap and cartridge pouch, which made painting much easier:





















The set also contained a nice selection of command figures with two officers, one with his arm in a sling, and two drummers to replace the usual standard bearers which of course were not present in these combined battalions:











The second battalion contained detachments from 37th, 40th, 43rd, 45th, 46th, 49th, 52nd, 55th, 57th, 63rd, 64th, 71st, and the marines, from which I have used (in order of seniority and from left to right below) 46th,  52nd, 55th, 49th, 45th and 40th:











These are all in a firing line pose:





















and include a nice sapper figure resting on his axe:











The command figures also included an officer wiping his forehead with a handkerchief and another leaning on his cane, both of which I particularly enjoyed painting:











I also completed yet another casualty figure to accompany these two battalions, mounted on a Warbases dial:











That's ten battalions completed, and my AWI British force is now starting to look a bit more like an army:











Next up, two combined light battalions, and then I'll be nearly two thirds the way through this part of the project.

20 comments:

  1. Impressive work, Lawrence. Doubly impressive that you did all of this over a weekend. You are a painting machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I actually only completed them over the weekend, and think they took the best part of two weeks in the end.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jon, awesome work Lawrence well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Lawrence, I know when I painted my grenadiers they were a bit of a pain 👍 well done for going the extra stage of identifying each detachment, good effort 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are probably the fiddliest figures I have done to date, but they are such an icon of the British army in the AWI that I found them quite rewarding to do.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Lawrence, if I did not alreadyb have a substantial British force, I would be tempted to do them in Perry plastics....I have succumbed to temptation and joined Mark in an order to the Perry's, to get the total past the £200 post free value...I am getting a three box deal of American infantry plus mounted Washington figure plus extra command sprues, as well as some extra mounted officers.....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. These grenadiers are actually from the Perry metal range, although I got the three box deal for both the British line which I have worked my way through and the same Continental deal you have gone for. I'm hoping to get to the Americans before the end of the year.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely painting Lawrence, that's a lot of Grenadiers! Do you have a particular battle in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I have been working off the scenario books for the British Grenadier ruleset and noticed that a couple of them call for two battalions of Grenadiers. including Monmouth and Brandywine, so thought I had better do two just in case.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I was pleased with the way they turned out even if they were fiddly to do.

      Delete
  7. Superb job Lawrence. Those look amazing. You’re really making good progress on the whole AWI project. 😀
    If you run out of AWI miniatures and have a strong desire to paint more I can send you mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I'm trying not to think how many I have in front of me otherwise I'd no doubt feel overwhelmed.

      Delete
  8. Those are wonderful - excellent job. I love the casualty marker - I must look into those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giles. Some great resources on your blog and I intend to spend some time having a proper look through later today, work permitting.

      Delete
  9. These grenadiers are just perfect Lawrence, such a fantastic paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, very kind indeed. A bit easier to do than your 15mm Essex versions though.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm pleased overall with progress thus far.

      Delete