Monday 24 June 2024

AWI British Light Battalions

After having recently completed two battalions of combined British grenadiers it seemed only logical to do the same with two battalions of combined light infantry. These 48 figures took just under a fortnight, and have all been based on larger skirmish bases even though I have read a few accounts which indicate that on several occasions only up to half the battalion may have been deployed in skirmish order:











The first battalion mirrors that of the first battalion of the combined grenadiers with, from left to right, detachments from the 4th, 5th 23rd, 27th, 33rd and 38th regiments:











The command element is from the 4th regiment, so no reversed jacket:











The second battalion is made up of detachments from 46th,  52nd, 55th, 49th, 45th and 40th regiments:











The command element is from the 55th so in this case I did reverse the hornist's livery:



















There are half a dozen different skirmishing poses in the Perry range alongside three distinct command figures, so a fair bit of variety to mix in to the various stands: 


As well as a few detachments from buff-faced regiments:





I noted there is some speculation over what colour the light company feathers may have been. I decided to go with a dark green as this is the colour worn by the later Napoleonic light companies, and went with black cross-belts as indicated by several sources I referred to:



The obligatory casualty dial is a standard casualty figure from the Perry range without any jacket, so I painted him in a red vest to denote a light company casualty:











That's two more battalions now completed, to make a dozen in total so far:






Next up will be the Guard regiment detachments and 23rd Royal Welch fusiliers, the latter of which saw extensive service across all theatres throughout the War.

19 comments:

  1. Great stuff Lawrence - I have always liked the British Light infantry helmets in the AWI! You have done a great job on these two converged battalions, and I like all the logic behind feather colours etc - they make sense and seem logical to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The choices as far as I could make out were black, whit and dark green, with the latter making the most sense to me.

      Delete
  2. Terrific work, Lawrence! Are you and Keith running an AWI Arms' Race competition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith is way ahead of me as I'm still on the British and he is well into his Continentals.

      Delete
    2. To be fair I had a bit of a head start....most of my Crown forces are 15+ years old!

      Delete
  3. Crushing it with these figures! Love em.
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I finally feel as though I'm getting somewhere with these.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular looking troops Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, a bit fiddly again, but satisfying.

      Delete
  5. They look fantastic, Lawrence. One thing with AWI; you won't need to do too much Cavalry or Artillery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. I was quite relieved when I worked that out. I have a couple of regiments for each side ready to go. There aren't many OOBs where cavalry make an appearance.

      Delete
  6. Don't know how I missed this post. Very nice work Lawrence. I must have a look at a combined light battalion for my own collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It was also nice doing a couple of units without all those white straps, for a change of pace.

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking light infantry and sensible choice on the feathers front!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, it seemed the most logical way to go.

      Delete
  8. Superbly painted as always Lawrence. Really interesting uniforms on these fellas and a wonderful variety of poses.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much variation there is in the British throughout the AWI.

      Delete