Saturday 23 April 2022

French 1st Regiment of Line Lancers

The first of the line lancer units in the queue, the 1st Regiment were converted from the 1st Dragoon regiment which, I subsequently remembered I have also completed. No great problem as if they ever make it onto a table at the same time, the 1st Dragoons can make way and become the 3rd Dragoons (or I might simply go back and just change the label on the command stand and be done with it):











The figures are Foundry, and the flag from GMB as usual:





















The lance pennons are also from GMB. They would have been easy enough to make myself, but I like the subtle shading on the GMB flags and pennons which gives the appearance of material fluttering in the breeze:











The figures were actually quite difficult to glue on to the horses as the contact point wasn't obvious with these figures. With the added steps of gluing pennons to lances and lances to figures I got myself into a bit of a mess at one stage, with lances stuck to the back of my hand and pennons which I subsequently realised I had affixed upside down.











I also went a little darker than the green I used for the dragoons. I realise it could perhaps be a shade or two lighter, but am not unhappy with the result.



















That's the first of three lancer regiments completed then, with the other two hopefully following within the next week and a bit. I hope I'm not boring people too much with this procession of French cavalry but I want to get all 24 regiments completed before I become distracted again, especially as some 15mm Medieval Spanish are threatening to jump the queue.

15 comments:

  1. More nice work Lawrence and you are certainly not boring me with this parade of excellently painted French horsemen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. A few more to come then I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the Spanish,

      Delete
  2. More great work, Lawrence! Seeing your never-ending parade of units off your workbench is not boring at all. I remain in awe of your painting speed and quality of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. This is hopefully my last year of study, so I'm looking forward to the middle of November when I can shift things up another gear.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant work Lawrence. You have a good eye for colour and shade. Strikes me that you will soon have more cavalry than the Emperor himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. I decided to stop at 24 regiments once I figured out that my A4 storage boxes can hold eight each, and 24 seems like a nice number to break up into brigades.

      Delete
  4. Excellent Lawrence. I don’t have any line lancers, but your unit makes me think maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I think they add a bit of variety to the usual fare of chasseurs, hussars, dragoons and cuirassiers.

      Delete
  5. Lovely Lancers, Lawrence, and not boring at all! I did mine with the reversed colors trumpeters that probably existed briefly prior to the adoption of the Imperial Livery.

    The 6th Regiment, which had Garrance red facings, had it's Elite company in scarlet crests, in addition to the usual red epaulettes' I used tha scarlet crest for all of my Line lancer elite companies.

    The 5e Chevau=Leger Lanciers are a favorite unit of mine, as with many painters and military artists, because of their sky blue facings. Both my original version (Hinton Hunt figures) and it's "newer" iteration of the the 5e have consistently been tigers on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I much prefer the reversed livery, but these Foundry and the Perry figures looked to be later. It looks like my Monday night Napoleonic groups may be starting up again (it seems to get later every year) so they may even get a game soon. I hope they perform as well as your 5th.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking French cavalry, who could be bored? The green is great I'm still trundling along painting French cavalry when I should really get on with some line infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The cavalry nearly finished for me, but then hopefully some artillery and then some French light infantry. I might sneak in a Spanish medieval army before then though.

      Delete
    2. Only you would sneak in an entire Spanish medieval army!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Well, we'll see whether it is a quick action or becomes a drawn-out slug fest.

      Delete