Sunday 1 September 2024

AWI Queen's Rangers and Woodland Indian Allies

 The latest two units to join the AWI British are the loyalist Queen's Ranger regiment and some allied woodland Indians. First up, the Queen's Rangers:











These were quite simple to paint being mainly green and white with very little lace, so I flew through them:





















The flags are from GMB and add the usual splash of colour:











I based the light company figures skirmish bases as a few of the OOBs call for the Queen's Rangers to be in skirmish rather than close order:











These were quickly completed and I thought I was on a roll:











The Indian allies however proved a far trickier lot, mainly because of the variety of dress and poses:











Here are just a few of the poses included across the four different packs:































I used the Foundry Native American Flesh triad for these figures and was pleased with the results:











I also included a few bow-armed figures. By the time of the AWI most native Americans were musket-armed, but I wanted a bit more variety. Thankfully some of the bow-armed figures are also equipped with a musket and so they do not look out of place:






































I also attempted a few tattoos and body art on some of the figures, without going too over the top:



















The command set also includes a 'Mad Dog' figure on a horse. I'm not sure who he was meant to be and suspect that he may have been a British officer attached to the Indians to ensure their support, although their was a 'Mad Dog' chieftain who died before the outbreak of the War of Independence:



















The other main personalities are 'Red Jacket':



















And the rather charismatic Joseph Brant who even travelled to England after the war and met King George III, receiving a British pension and successfully negotiating with both the British and Americans to ensure the continued independence of his people:



















Fiddly, but ultimately quite fun to paint:



















Next up will be the 16th and 17th Light Dragoons.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Giles. I missed your two most recent posts thanks to the blogger feed not working, but it will give me something interesting to read later today.

      Delete
  2. Fab work, Lawrence! The natives look especially colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It was nice to be able to use a bit of colour on them although I was conscious of not wanting to go too over the top.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful looking figures. I occasionally am tempted to get in to the AWI but have managed to avoid succumbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally only wanted enough for a few Sharp Practice games, but project creep has definitely emerged.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking lights and irregular natives, they all look great!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. All of the core regular foot units have been done so it was time to get stuck into a few loyalist and irregular units.

      Delete
  5. Outstanding brushwork Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I was particularly pleased with the Inidans.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on both groups of figures Lawrence - you have reminded me I can use my FIW injuns 20 years later in the AWI, too! I already have a unit of Queens rangers (Front Rank) figures, painted over twenty years ago - I have been tempted to update/increase their numbers, but I really don't need to, although I do not have any mounted Tarleton's Legion - so they may be a possibility.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I have some British Legion ahead of me, once I have got through the 16th and 17th dragoons. Hopefully they will be as easy as the Queen's Rangers were to paint up.

      Delete
  7. Nice work Lawrence, I especially like the Rangers….i think I might have to get some of them as they are very distinctive and come up quite often in OB’s ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. Rather annoyingly they seem to make an appearance as both a close order and skirmish unit depending upon the OOB, but I think an 18/6 split on the basing should have it covered.

      Delete
  8. I was sure I wrote a comment for this post already…. Maybe the internet ate it or I’m hallucinating. Again.

    Great job on the AWI stuff. It’s really pretty. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. That happened to me a month or so ago on one of Jonathan's posts. I blamed it on Blogger.

      Delete
  9. Oooh I like those. The Perry indians are nice sets. If I hadn't built up some of the Wargames Factory figures I would have done some if those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. They are great sculpts and a couple of the figures had separate arms to make the poses even more dynamic. Definitely one of their best AWI sets.

      Delete
  10. More sensational painting Lawrence. You are really embracing the variety of units that the period affords!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of variety the deeper into the project I have ventured.

      Delete