Friday 9 August 2024

AWI Scottish Regiments

I had been putting off these two units until all the other British foot had been completed as I knew they would be fiddly, the 71st Fraser's Highlanders because of the dicing around the bonnets and the 42nd Royal Highlanders due to the tartan and the red and white diagonal dicing on the stockings:











The 71st is one of my favourite Napoleonic regiments and went through four iterations during the late 1700's. At one stage there were two regiments numbered 71st, but the one that served in America during the AWI was raised by Lieutenant-General Simon Fraser of Lovat as depicted here:











These were lovely figures to paint due to their relatively straightforward advancing pose:











Although the drummer was fiddlier than usual, being red-edged white lacing on white:











The flags are from GMB as usual:











The command set also contains a bagpiper, which I mounted alongside one of the NCOs but in such a way that he will be standing next to the officer when in line:


I painted the 42nd in the Government tartan, with dark green on dark blue. Not the most exciting combination and I did think about putting a red stripe through it, but that was only on kilts worn by the grenadier companies which aren't represented here. The tartan also seemed to come out a bit shiny under the lighting in these pictures in spite of a couple of applications of Dullcote:


These are very robust sculpts and remind me more of the traditional Front Rank sculpts than the usual Perry figures:


I put ten diagonal stripes on each stocking, five going each way, which I thought was enough to provide the necessary impression and more than enough when I realised I had forty-eight stockings to do.


That is all the British regular foot now completed, with sixteen battalions in total:


Next up will be the loyalist Queen's Rangers Regiment along with some Native American allies. 

18 comments:

  1. Excellent work, Lawrence! I have a number of projects that are conspicuously missing Highland regiments for the very same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely painful to do, and two for this project are enough.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Lawrence....they may be a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort, I am sure you will agree 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I am pleased to add them to the British contingent, but glad to have them behind me now.

      Delete
  3. The effort really paid off as these dudes look the business! Nice job. The extra bits of the uniforms will add to the overall AWI presentation of the game. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Yes, the blue bonnets, kilts and dicing will certainly help to add a bit of variety.

      Delete
  4. Ooooo they look rather tasty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, I think the extra effort paid off.

      Delete
  5. Much more that simply 'an impression', these are super impressive! They look beaut, particularly the tartan and hose.
    I really like the highlanders wearing a bonnet and with the extra plaid over the left shoulder, which they also wore in the earlier French and Indian War.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind James. I wanted to put a bit of effort into the extra plaid to complete the look as it were.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking highlanders, they look awesome! Luckily my Montrose army is unbuilt in a box under everything else!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I have a 15mm Montrose army similarly tucked away. I must get around to it one day.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Lawrence those are outstanding. Make sure that they go into a display cabinet and put on show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. My wife has all her good crystal and porcelain in my display cabinets at the moment. Hopefully once the kids move out and I have a proper gaming room I can reclaim them.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful stuff Lawrence, I love the highlanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol, A bit tricky, but ultimately rewarding.

      Delete
  9. These are quite splendid - you can't have too many highlanders in an AWI collection. With a change of flags, the Black Watch can double-up as the Royal Highland Emigrants Regt. as well, as the tartan was the same government sett. I always found it was the socks that were the worst part - yours are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Giles. The socks were definitely the trickiest part. Mine could have been a lot more detailed, but with forty-eight of them to do I thought a basic impression was enough.

      Delete