Wednesday 2 November 2022

15mm Medieval Teutonic Knights

It is always enjoyable starting a new project and I have been looking forward to commencing a 15mm Teutonic army, starting with fourteen elements of knights:


















These are an expensive option in DBMM as they are rated superior and worth 15 points an element, and there is also an option to double-base them with German knights which takes them to a whopping 23 points an element. By comparison, most ordinary knights come in at 10 points an element and cavalry at 6 or 7 points, so it is quite easy to chew through the 400 point allocation in the games we normally play, at least apart from the time I had a brain fade and accidentally fielded a 500 point Frankish army which consequently went through the other side like a knife through butter, and which I still get frequently reminded about:




































I decided therefore to base them as single 15 point elements, but will be making some sabot bases to add the German cavalry if I ever feel like straying into 23 point per element territory:




































The figures are from Khurasan and are true 15mm, which puts them on the smaller side of figures. The banners are from Little Big Men Studios and, while medieval banners are large anyway, I found I was limited in what I could use from the banner sheet, as lance pennons at least:




































There are also four command elements among the fourteen, with generals worth 35 points each or 43 points if double-based:




































The upshot of this is that the Teutonic army will be a small and hopefully quick project:


















Next up will be some twelve elements Dienende Bruder crossbow and spearmen, which will form the backbone of the foot for this army.

14 comments:

  1. Very handsome work! The white makes this mass of knights pop as do the flags. It would be fun seeing your entire collection on display. You must have thousands of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I was a little sceptical as to how all that white would look, but it creates a nice backdrop for the few splashes of colour in the lances and reins. I probably have around fifteen thousand painted figures now, but have at least three times that to go. I'm hoping that when I finish my latest round of studies I'll be able to pick up the pace even more.

      Delete
  2. These look great Lawrence, but another 15,000 unpainted figures still to go, the mind boggles! You really need to stop wasting your time working, retire, and get down to painting eight figures hours a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather embarrassingly I estimate there are just over 40,000 figures in the pile still to go, and the idea is that I will be able to increase the output when I retire. With two children still at home though that is still a few years off.

      Delete
  3. Wow, most beautiful and impressive knights Lawrence...Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Phil. I think Teutonic knights look good en masse.

      Delete
  4. Amazing job on those knights Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. This is the main part of the army now done, so I am hoping I should be able to rattle through the rest in fairly short order.

      Delete
  5. Well that's definitely a start! Splendid looking Teutonic knights, they look great all together with their banners!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The LBMS banners work well against the white background of the knights and give them a definite lift.

      Delete
  6. That's the problem with ubertruppen - viele geld!
    They look very good. My 25 mm Teutonic army is fairly small for similar reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly Peter. One member of our group has already labelled them as an 'anti-social' army because they are potentially so deadly, but you don't get many of them so have to be very careful they don't get outflanked and overwhelmed, especially in just a 400 point game. I don't think the games are going to be as one-sided as he believes.

      Delete
  7. Very nice and I would think the elite element for any army packing a real punch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. It will be fun working out how to play this army, but suspect the trick will be to hit quickly and try to punch through before they are overwhelmed by superior numbers.

      Delete