Friday 7 October 2022

15mm Spanish Medieval Army Completed

I had originally hoped to have this army completed by the end of August, but effectively finished three weeks into September, so just over three and a half months. I enjoyed painting this army and they have ventured on to the field for a glorious win against some 100 Years War English, so I thought it time to organise a quick parade of the finished project:











The figures are all Khurasan, with the exception of the artillery which is from Essex Miniatures and the camp items which were purchased from Baueda:














I used a mixture of Little Big Men Studio and Pete's Flags designs for the knights pennants and some of the shield designs. Pete gave me his blessing to shrink them down a couple of sizes and even offered to do them for me which was extremely nice of him, but I took them to the local Officeworks and for a couple of dollars gained access to one of their high quality copiers:


I found this to be quite a manageable project, mainly because there were not masses of any one particular troop type, so the variety kept my interest levels up:





In total there are 498 figures, comprised of 105 horses and 393 foot and mounted figures:


Next up will be the last of the English longbowmen which will form the nucleus of that army, and then I'll stick with Medievals until Christmas and try to complete a Teutonic army which I have dragged out of the pile and started assembling, and am quite looking forward to getting stuck into.

18 comments:

  1. Lawrence! This army is a marvelous sight! Impressive task completed. The colors are striking. Great job! When will we see it in battle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I keep saying that I want to do some AARs, but since the gaming is around at someone else's place and there is a group of us I'm uncomfortable about interrupting the flow by taking photos, and reminding people to clear away the detritus each time. It is definitely something I plan to address when I start hosting, hopefully within the next couple of years.

      Delete
  2. Seconding what Jonathan said. 500 figures in a little over three months is very impressive. The pageantry is evident in the layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Joe. I'm hoping to ramp up the output even more over the next couple of months before end of year celebrations will slow things down again.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive! Not just the army itself but the fact it is only 5 weeks over due. I started my ECW army 8 years ago and it still isn't done.🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Codsticker. Your ECW project is the type of thing you have to just keep adding to, and they are always lovely additions.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful little figures Lawrence, they really "pop" out of the screen at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I wanted to give them an identifiably Spanish flavour without going over the top.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous looking army Lawrence…completed.. 😂🤣😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, another six packs of Spanish figures arrived last week. When they are painted it will almost definitely be completed, pretty much.

      Delete
  6. Great looking army Lawrence! Nice job all around. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, it was one of the more interesting armies I have done.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Lawrence. A real feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, there is mixture of troop types in a Spanish army which adds to the variety.

      Delete
  8. That's a great looking army, and the time to completion is outstanding, even if a little longer than you had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Peter. The main thing is that it is finished and I am looking forward to a few entertaining games with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking medieval army, cranked out to a high standard very rapidly!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It has had one game and beat some 100 Years War English, which is always a nice way to debut a new army.

      Delete