Saturday 29 January 2022

15mm Ashigaru with Naginata

 The first batch of figures completed for 2022 is twenty-four elements comprised of 72 figures of Ashigaru armed with the shorter naginata pole weapon. These figures really should be double-based with the samurai cavalry in DBMM as followers. I wanted to keep them separate to give myself flexibility for other rule sets however and have made separate sabot bases to combine them for DBMM purposes:





















The figures are again from Eureka Miniatures and the poses are the same as the already completed yari-armed ashigaru, with standing, running and kneeling figures:































With essentially 234 of these figures across the three poses I again did a few in black armour, just to break things up a bit:





















As to my final 2021 figure tally, this came out as 910 foot and mounted riders with 355 horses, so 1265 figures in all, so not a bad effort. There were 292 28mm French Napoleonic cavalry horses plus 169 riders completed in this lot, so on a points basis that equates to a total of 3913 points.

Not a bad effort considering I had also crammed some extra study in to complete my law degree to the point I now only have four subjects left to go, and we had our brush with COVID between Christmas and New Year. 

With regard to the latter, the two children still at home tested positive first, followed by my wife a few days later. I then started waking up in the mornings feeling exhausted, followed by a general lack of motivation where even the smallest of household jobs seemed insurmountable. I essentially spent the week on the couch watching the Ashes cricket test, so my other half was not impressed when my PCR test result eventually came back negative. 

Next up the last of the ashigaru, this time armed with bows.

14 comments:

  1. Truly impressive output both in fielding these 72 figures and your 2021 totals. Great job! Looking forward to seeing these MASSIVE armies in battle one day.

    Nice stratagem in feigning near death to avoid chores. There were no questions as to your fitness for painting but not other duties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. There weren't too many questions as my wife was too under the weather. The way I was feeling I honestly believed I had mild symptoms, so was more surprised than anyone to have dodged it. All the family were at our holiday place when they got sick and I was due to meet them on the weekend. They came back early so I can only presume they were less contagious when they returned home, plus we are all fully vaccinated which probably helped my cause.

      Delete
  2. I’m almost disappointed Lawrence, I mean a mere 72 figures after the last effort of 162 almost seems half-hearted!…but impressive all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. That last batch of 162 nearly drove me to distraction so it was nice to tackle a smaller number, especially as they were essentially the same figure just with a shorter pole arm.

      Delete
  3. Some splendid figures here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Not a lot of variety in them unfortunately, but it is nice to have them completed.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha Lawtence...once again, I literally laughed (albeit quietly as it around midnight ) out loud reading your final paragraph! The mini Japs look great, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, not a lot of laughter here though when my results came back.

      Delete
  5. Excellent brushwork Lawrence. That's quite some going getting that number of figures painted in a year. Who's face was better, yours or the Mrs when your test came back negative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. It was a far more productive year than I imagined. We were all quite relieved I tested negative really as the way the rules are here it would have meant another seven days of isolation at home on top of that which the rest of the family had already done.

      Delete
  6. More superb figures, Lawrence. Does this complete the army, olr are there a few more yet to come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I am completing the some ashigaru bow at the moment, then there will be a few baggage pieces and some sohei monks after that. I'm hopeful I'll have this lot finally completed by the end of February.

      Delete
  7. Great looking big lump of foot,you probably had another cold /flu thing just not covid ,glad you're feeling better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It was probably just the heat this time of year, but it wasn't difficult to convince myself that I had it when the rest of the household had tested positive.

      Delete