Friday 10 September 2021

15mm Samurai Bow

 The next tranche of figure for this project are eight elements of samurai bow, comprised of 32 figures:











There are two different poses, with one shooting and the other looking as though he's about to draw another arrow from his quiver:











I did a few less sashimonos for these, primarily because they would only sit correctly on the shooting figure:











I initially gave tried out a few bowmen with the traditional red and black hoops on the bow, which took me ages to do but ended up looking too busy so I painted over them and reverted to a basic red. At least the red bow is itself a traditional colour:











The figures are again from Eureka and have a nice amount of detail for "true" 15mm sculpts:
































I'm keen to get stuck into some samurai cavalry, but will complete another regiment of 28mm French dragoons before I do. I've grown a little tired of waiting for the replacement flags to arrive so will use a spare chasseur standard which has roughly the right battle honours, just to finally move them off the painting queue. 

12 comments:

  1. Super work on these bowmen. Which I had known about the red bow when I was painting my Japanese armies. Learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I think the red with black hoops is more traditional, along with a few other combinations, but i preferred just the basic red at this scale as it otherwise looked a bit fiddly.

      Delete
  2. THey look superb, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. They are quite fiddly to paint but ultimately satisfying.

      Delete
  3. Considering these are 15mm Lawrence, the detail in your painting is outstanding! I would not worry too much about what battle honours are on any given cavalry standard - almost no one would know which regiment had what honours anyway, and if they do, their eyesight will probably be too poor to read them in 28mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right Keith. I could barely make them out even wearing my magnifiers. It is the 15th I'm doing so I managed to find a flag which had all their battle honours apart from Albuera, so definitely close enough.

      Delete
  4. Simply super Samurai, Lawrence. I am very impressed with how spectacular they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. They are a bit of a riot of colour and I'm going to keep the theme going with the samurai cavalry, but then tone it all down a bit when I get to the ashigaru.

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking 15mm samurai! I'm with Keith, I wouldn't sweat the flags and looking forward to seeing them, I've got to stop assembling plastics and get back to painting, it's just I'd like to get them sprayed before the weather closes in!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. Four of the remaining units are lancers so I really was hoping the lance pennons would have arrived by now along with the flags. I reordered them on Friday so with any luck I'll have them within a few weeks. At least with all the assembly work you've been doing you will have enough prepared figures to keep you going for a while.

      Delete
  6. That is truly impressive Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Just the cavalry to go now, before I move on to some fanatical peasants.

      Delete