Tuesday 31 March 2020

15mm Tibetan Nomadic Allied Cavalry

Rather than having to field an army of primarily knights, the Tibetan army list provides an option for Chi'ang or Sumpa nomadic allies, or Uighur mercenary cavalry.

This seems like a good option to have available depending upon the opposition, especially as they are regular troops of decent or superior quality, so I set about putting together fourteen elements of these:




































The figures are again from Khurasan, but from their Mongol range. I selected these on the basis that they should fit the nomadic bill nicely:




































There is a choice of six riders and three horses, available either as steppe or Mongol ponies with the latter having a broader head and shorter legs so I chose the former as being more generally applicable:





































These are very nicely detailed figures, but are more 18mm than the true 15mm figures of the Tibetans. They have also been done by two different sculptors, but are as I say from two completely different ranges under the Khurasan banner:


















They also will not be mixed within the same unit, so the size difference should not matter in the final analysis:




































Only around another fifteen elements of Tibetan heavy cavalry plus a few dismounted figures to go now, and that will be the first army completed for 2020. Strangely, and in spite of the enforced isolation most of us are going through, my production rate does not appear to have increased. I can only put that down to my wife also spending more time around home and finding an increased number of jobs that need doing, some of which had been carefully hidden away from all but the most discerning eye and which of course one now cannot find a tradesman to do. 

12 comments:

  1. Great work as always on these beautiful figures Lawrence - but I am disappointed you have not written a precis on why Hannibal is the greatest commander ever - come on, you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, perhaps when the Carthaginians next come out to play it will put me in more of a Hannibal mood. For the moment I have my head stuck in arguing across 2000 words whether a split or fused legal practice would be beneficial to the State of Queensland. I'd much rather be writing about Hannibal.

      Delete
  2. Impressive, very impressive cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate! That is some cavalry mass! My own production rate has dropped with the lockdown here...this working from home thing seems to simply means work longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. And the worst thing about putting in the longer hours is that there is no bugger around to acknowledge or care that you have actually done it. Not that that is the main reason one does it of course.

      Delete
  4. This is an impressive line-up of cavalry! Fourteen elements? That is a lot of figures to push through the production line. When I zoom in, your brushwork is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I did seem to get a bit stuck on these, but was happy with the end result and it will give me a lot more options to play around with the Tibetan army composition.

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking mongols! Lovely finish, nice option to have, I'm painting less figures in lockdown and more walls and ceilings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, I have been given my list of jobs for the weekend already, so no doubt it will be Monday again before I know it. At least I still have work on and a weekend, so I shouldn't complain.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive, both in terms of quantity and quality, Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, this is quite a good helping of nomadic cavalry which will see us through most scenarios I would think.

      Delete