Sunday 5 January 2020

2019 Final Tally

I only record broad figures, but 2019 was my most productive year so far with the completion of three armies in 15mm, and getting to within seventeen figures of a fourth. The three completed were Gauls, Spanish and Carthaginians, although the Gallic project also consumed the last four months of 2018, and the fourth is a Numidian contingent of around three hundred figures with the last handful being based at the moment.

The final tally was as follows:

Foot and mounted figures               1191
Horses (including 13 elephants)     278
Wagons and chariots                       28
15mm buildings                              29

Buildings and wagons aside, this represents a grand total of 1469 15mm figures completed, which exceeded my original goal of 1200.

Looking back, I was happiest with my efforts on the 15mm Gallic and Carthaginian chariots:


















The Carthaginian elephants:


















Xyston Spanish light cavalry:








The Hovels Gallic village buildings:



















And the 15mm Baueda bridge model:


















The most satisfying aspect of 2019 was that most of the painted figures saw at least one game, with around a dozen or so DBMM battles throughout the year as well as two Napoleonic 15mm games, one of which went for several months over a series of successive Monday evenings.

I also managed to restrain expenditure to a reasonable amount (at least when compared to other years), although 2019 did include the addition of 28mm Renaissance TAG Polish and Muscovite armies and a 15mm Khurasan Tibetan army to the pile as well as approximately 50 of the Cruel Seas German and British boats.

As for 2020, I have targeted a 15mm Xyston Republican Romans and Tibetans for completion as they should get some game time, as well as working on some 28mm Foundry French and Front Rank Russians. While 2019 was very productive I found my interest levels flagging a little in completing the Numidians, so I am also hoping to dip into some stockpiled Ancient, Napoleonic and WWII naval projects along the way, to mix things up a little and hopefully provide a little more variety to the painting side of the hobby.

15 comments:

  1. Great year at the painting desk for you, Lawrence! The 15s you produce are beautiful without question. With so many fab. looking armies, it is hard to pick a favorite.

    This year, I will try to curb my spending on figures. We will see how long I last...

    Your chariots are superb as I mentioned before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, your kind words and encouragement are always very much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. You have had a very impressive year in terms of output Lawrence as well as in terms of quality. I have been constantly impressed with the detail on the Xyston figures you favour. Have you blogged all your battles?i was surprised when you said you had played one per month on average....I don't recall seeing many battle reports...although I was absent for about six months so that may explain the discrepancy in my memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Unfortunately I haven't documented any of the games, mainly because it is at another venue and they have mentioned they would like to take the pictures for our Facebook group. The only flaw in that plan is that the pictures are usually forgotten in the heat of battle. I'll have to remember to take a few of my own this year, as we are already starting to forget the details of some of the games we have had.

      Delete
  3. What a productive and fantastic year, wonderful minis and awesome Gallic village!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, it did feel like a productive year and the best part was that all the newly-painted armies saw figures on the table.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really amazing output:
    "Foot and mounted figures 1191
    Horses (including 13 elephants) 278
    Wagons and chariots 28
    15mm buildings 29"
    Incredible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker. It surpassed my expectations and I'm not sure I'll be able to get close to that amount again, at least until I retire which is still a little way off.

      Delete
  6. Really spectacular output, Lawrence, in both quantity and quality... Not to mention completed army, and tabletop usage. Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, much appreciated. I think it was the "completed army" bit I was most pleased with!

      Delete
  7. That's an impressive haul there Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I was very pleased with the final headcount.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic output both in numbers and in the quality of the finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete