Sunday 29 December 2019

15mm Baggage

I have had a number of Museum Miniatures lying around for the past eight years and am in need of some 15mm baggage for the gaming table, so I decided to move five wagons along with three Forged in Battle ox-drawn carts to the front of the queue:


















The first of the Museum Miniatures models is an engineers' wagon:


















Along with two large hay carts:






















































And a smaller single-horse version:


















My favourite however is the beer wagon, complete with three barrels for a thirsty army. It puts me in mind of one of my locals which is the last pub in Queensland to still serve beer on tap from a wooden barrel although, to be honest, I can't really tell the difference and suspect it is brewed in the same steel vats as the rest of the beer they serve:


















The Museum Miniature models fit together very nicely and are provided with two horses. I ordered four additional horses but found, after painting them, I preferred to stick with the original teams of two. The models are also available with a choice of solid or spoked wheels. The spoked wheels give them more of a middle ages/renaissance appearance, as opposed to the three Forged in Battle ox-carts which have solid wheels and a much earlier look about them:


















These will do double-duty as combatants for the DBMM Ancient Spanish army list which also allows the use of flaming ox-carts as an expendable troop type.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself after having completed them, until I went back to the email confirmation of the original order and realised I have another four of the Museum Miniature carts packed away somewhere. I now have a small side-project for the second week of my Christmas break in hunting through a few dozen storage boxes to try to find them, although I am hopeful this will also allow me to locate a mislaid Peter Pig Parthian army and some 28mm Renegade Carthaginians.

12 comments:

  1. They look very nice, Lawrence. They can also be used for "Wagon Train" and supply raid type scenarios. I just ordered several color coded storage carts for my unpainted figures, as hunting for lead I know I have but can't find has become all too frequent lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm intending to invest in some proper rack shelving once daughter number one purchases her own house, hopefully within the next couple of months, and I can finally separate out her storage boxes from mine. That will be the perfect time to sort through things properly and come up with a more workable solution.

      Delete
  2. Super work on these rolling stocks, Lawrence! Your brushwork on these pieces is really nice. Very useful in many a game.

    I have odds and ends of 28mm Renegade Punic Wars figures that I had leftover when Renegade ceased trading. If you find your missing Renegade Carthaginians and you discover you are short a figure or two to complete a unit, let me know. I may have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. Baggage is always useful in DBMM games, and we're looking to play a few DBR games in 2020 so they will be handy for that as well.

      Thanks also for the kind offer on the Renegade figures. I painted a Carthaginian army many years ago made up of now out-of-production Amazon Miniatures. This is one unit of Renegade Libyan spearmen that I purchased as a one-off as they are such nice figures and I also found that there were some LBMS shield decals available, and couldn't resist. Hopefully they are all still sitting together in the original packaging and I figure I'll finally try to complete them over the coming months while I'm in a Punic War state of mind.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work as always Larence. Enjoy your festive treasure hunt and hope you have a good New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I might undertake the search with a glass of wine in hand. Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  4. Those look great- I love that kind of thing for the table. Either as an objective or just to create atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker, I couldn't agree more. In DBMM and DBR they do serve a purpose as an objective, but they also provide a bit more variety to the table.

      Delete
  5. Always glad to see baggages, and these ones are superb and so atmospheric, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the Museum Miniatures wagons in particular have a lot of character.

      Delete
  6. Great looking and eminently useful baggage train ,oh and I like the phrase Punic war state of mind!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm sure they will get a far bit of use. All the best for 2020.

      Delete