Monday 30 September 2019

15mm Crescent Root European Buildings

Following my purchase of a Crescent Root European village four years ago:
http://tinmountain.blogspot.com/2015/12/crescent-root-15mm-world-war-ii.html
I have been keeping an eye on their new releases. These are great models and have the advantage of being pre-painted and assembled. The original 15mm MDF buildings are no longer available, but I purchased half a dozen from the new range European range which complements them nicely.

Here are two of the recent purchases side-by-side:


















With a few close-ups showing some of the very nice detail, including recessed windows which is achieved by virtue of an inner and outer skin to the models, and terrific texturing on the walls:




























































I went with the option of a stone look on some and sienna on others, while keeping all the roofs to a slate grey to keep them consistent with my earlier purchase:























All the roofs lift of to reveal layers of flooring. While these do have the 'typical' lasered MDF appearance and are possibly not to the same level as earlier models, they will nevertheless be highly functional and are a welcome inclusion:









































Some of the models are quite large and represent good value, although with freight and the unfavourable exchange rate between the US and Australian dollar the overall cost did start to creep up a bit. These last two are my favourites with what appears to be a large apartment block:




































And another which is a row of shops with accommodation overhead:




































In my opinion these are superb models and I know I'll be back for more once this range disappears and the next emerges (although I'm already thinking I could probably use a few of Crescent Root's industrial-style buildings in the meantime - hmmmm).

For those interested the Crescent Root website is:
https://crescent-root.com/pages/Product/15mm/15mm.html

14 comments:

  1. These buildings are superb! This is a company that I do not recall seeing before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to make resin buildings up to around eight years ago and then switched to MDF. The resin buildings looked great, and I wish I had purchased a few of those at the time.

      Delete
  2. Truly fantastic, love these buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good, and I am already lining up my next purchase.

      Delete
  3. I agree these are excellent models - never heard of them before either!
    Time to get them onto the battlefield pronto.
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. I now need to paint a few WWII figures so I can actually get them on to the table.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful looking buildings,it's hard to believe they're MDF!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are by far the best laser-cut MDF buildings I have ever seen, and the nicest thing is that they arrive completed without me actually having to do anything.

      Delete
  5. Very nice looking MDF buildings. The texture on the apartment block walls is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the texturing on a couple of the buildings is a paper veneer which looks good even up close, while others are actually rendered. It is a nice mixture which works well.

      Delete
  6. I've always admired Crescent Root stuff but price was a bit of an issue but those are damn nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely more toward the luxury end on my purchasing spectrum Fran.

      Delete
  7. Great pieces Lawrence, and beautifully painted. One of my biggest complaints about MDF models is that they are to precise, too perfect, but these seem to have the irregularities and imperfections of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely that Mark. The way they have been painted enhances the irregular look and feel which sets them apart from most MDF buildings I have seen in the past.

      Delete