Thursday 6 June 2019

15mm Spanish Armoured Cavalry

I knew that May would potentially be the least productive month this year in terms of painting output (the reasons for which I have outlined at the end of this post), but I managed to progress my ancient Spanish project in the form of some armoured cavalry:


















These are again Xyston figures but appear a little different to some of the others in their range, not least because they have cast-on spears:


















This reminded me a little of the old Miniature Figurines sculpts, and how I could never completely remove the waviness:


















And usually ended up snapping one or two along the way:




































They are however great figures, and the four different poses in each pack provides sufficient variety:


















May turned out to be a busy month with my daughter's wedding, which was wonderful; my father's eightieth birthday, which was great and was thoroughly enjoyed by all; a trip to New Zealand, where I got to spend a very pleasant hour catching up on the last thirty years with Mark Strachan; and the end of the university semester leading into exams.

I wonder on occasion why I am persevering with a law degree at my age, but it is something I have always wanted to do and I find it keeps my mind active. Besides which I am now just slightly over two thirds of the way through, so will keep plugging on.

I have also already made a good start to June, and hope to have a few more posts up before the month is out.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Spanish cavalry! Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! Surely your never to old to learn,I fancy an art history course when I have the time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I'm fairly keen to do a history course myself once I have this one out of the way, but that seems quite a way off.

      Delete
  2. Your Spanish are terrific! The brushwork and vibrant colors work so well on these cavalry.

    Congratulations on your milestones on the personal front too! Marrying off daughters is enjoyable but costly. I speak from experience having given away two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. We still have two more daughters and a son to go, so it looks like I'll be working for some time to come.

      Delete
  3. Congrats for your daughter...and for this beautiful cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was pleased with the way they turned out.

      Delete
    2. The cavalry, or the daughters? :-)

      Delete
    3. Definitely both, but probably a bit more so the daughters!

      Delete
  4. Lovely painted cavalry you have here Lawrence!
    Congrats on your daughter's wedding, your dad's 80th Birthday, your trip NZ and you will have the honor to be my lawyer! :o)

    all the best,
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. The law thing will only ever be a hobby, but I find that having to remember sixty or seventy cases for each of the subjects is doing wonders for my memory. That said, I still have problems remembering where I put the car keys.

      Delete
  5. Great troopers Lawrence. I am sure that you are doing the law degree so that you can be the butt of all those lawyer jokes! And you are right at two thirds through its too lstre to turn it off now. Wouldn't a military history degree be a great thing, but can't see it happening in the PC world of academia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Yes, an Arts degree in military history would be quite something. It is probably not completely out of the realms of possibility that a university in the UK might offer something like that, but the trick would be to find one that has a course to accommodate external students. Mind you, as an overseas student it would probably cost a small fortune.

      Delete
    2. About 20 years (possibly more) ago Massey offered a military history course here as a correspondence course. I would have loved to have done it, but lacked the funds at the time.

      Delete
    3. It's hard to imagine there was a time when the government actually paid us to go to university. I do feel we had things very good in those days, compared to the debt that most graduates end up having to carry to do a degree.

      Delete
  6. The cavalry is lovely (and I am sure the daughter was even more so at her wedding). I'm glad the celebration of you Father's 80th went well; my dad was in superb shape at 80 himself. My sister is the lawyer in the family, with a long career in the US Army and as an assistant District Attorney, which at one point brought her to Australia tracking down and international money laundering operation.

    I have one daughter married off about 6 years ago, and the other through Veterinary School now. No further weddings in the foreseeable future! I could go for a trip to New Zealand, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your sister has had an interesting career, and much more exciting than just doing conveyancing work! I can thoroughly recommend a trip to New Zealand if you do get the chance Peter, as there is a lot to see and it is all nicely packaged into drivable distances.

      Delete
  7. Very nice Spanish Cavalry Lawrence. I too have been entirely unproductive so far in June, as my wife and I have just returned from 11 days in China - not complaining you understand, it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Trips away do stem the productive flow, but they are worth it and I have just enjoyed the first batch of photos from your trip.

      Delete