Thursday 11 April 2019

Last of the Spanish scutarii

A quick post, as it is primarily more of the same but does however represent the last batch of Spanish scutarii (I promise):


















Another fifteen elements, making sixty-seven elements of scutarii in all:




































That's 201 figures all-up, and 202 if you count the poor fellow who hasn't found a home yet. Given that the scutarii are the backbone of an Ancient Spanish army I believe I am now on the homeward stretch with this one. As lovely as the sculpts are, I'll be glad if I don't have to see another 15mm scutarii figure again:




































I'm also just putting the finishing touches on a Celtic/Gallic village which I'm hoping will be complete within the next day or so. It's been years since I have had a go at terrain and I have accumulated a rather substantial resin pile to accompany the lead mountain, so I thought I'd make a start on the former to help keep up my motivation with the latter.

12 comments:

  1. Nice! 67 elements? Wow! That is an impressive undertaking. How about a group shot of all 67 elements arrayed for battle. That would be an impressive sight, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I looked at them in their storage box and was thinking it would be a pity not to drag them all out for a group shot, as I am unlikely to ever put them all into battle at the same time. I'll have to make it happen over the next week or so.

      Delete
  2. I second the call for a parade ground shot. I also look forward to seeing your Gallic village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker. I'm not sure it will be anywhere near the standards of your excellent ECW siege works though!

      Delete
  3. lovely looking Spanish Scutarii - excellent work Lawrence!
    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I enjoyed seeing your Carthaginians and Romans in action in your last AAR.

      Delete
  4. More excellent looking troops!
    The GallicVillage sounds like a great addition- presumably quite suitable for habitation by Celtiberians as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now and am hoping it will see a bit of use across a few western European theatres.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work and a mamouth task very nearly completed Lawrence. Normally I would agree with you about 15mm figures but these Xyston ones are very nice so its been a real pleasure to see the collection gradually increase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, that's very kind of you. I tend to attack these projects in straight lines as I find it too difficult to circle back and try to remember what I have done, but it does mean that I end up working on lots of the same figures.

      Delete
  6. Impressive Scutari! It would be great to see a parade!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I'm planning on getting a few caetrati completed and then I'll be keen to put them all on the table together to see what they look like.

      Delete