Tuesday 23 April 2019

15mm Spanish caetrati

Easter proved to be quite productive and I managed to complete forty elements of Spanish caetrati.


















The figures are again Xyston with twelve different poses, so there was a fair amount of variety to get stuck into:
The models are supplied with the typical Spanish caetrati shield, which meant a welcome change from applying transfers:


















Some of the blade-armed figures were single-sculpts, such as the figure on the left below, so that also meant not having to glue on separate shields or weapons:


















The detail was up to the usual Xyston high standard, which made these a pleasure to paint:


















I actually ended up with seventy-nine figures for some unknown reason, but remembered I had a spare scutarii figure so recruited him for the fortieth element:


















On to some cavalry now, then a few more slingers and a few elements of celtiberian reinforcements. That means the project should be completed within the next couple of months.

I have also been putting some effort to the completion of a few additional terrain pieces along the way, and will hopefully also have a post on that within the next few days.

14 comments:

  1. Painted 80 figures over the weekend? Lawrence, YOU are a painting machine! Superb brushwork, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. To be fair I had made a start on thirty of them leading up to the long weekend, but I was pleased with the result.

      Delete
  2. I must say Lawrence you really painted the Xyston Spanish Caetrati historical correct! The tunic/cloth colors are spot on!...and to paint 80 miniatures during one weekend is amazing..assuming you had no interruptions to complete the project?... well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Just a couple of family outings sprinkled across the weekend, but they were mainly in the evenings so I was left to my own devices for the most part of the days. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful job once again Lawrence - 15mm figures are quicker to paint than 28mm I find, but with the outstanding detail on these Xyston figures, it must be almost like painting 28mm, so maybe not in this instance - 80 is a very impressive number, and they look fantastic as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. I'm quite looking forward to getting back into a few 28mm figures as I know they will feel huge in comparison when I do, at least for a while. I have three regiments of French cuirassiers which are prepped and ready to be worked on.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking Spanish and in such large numbers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. There can be quite a few needed in a DBMM army list, so it was good to get them all finished in one go.

      Delete
  5. They came out well, and in vast numbers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, there should be plenty there to cover most scenarios my gaming group will be able to come up with.

      Delete
  6. You have be busy! It has been a funny April this year with holidays - first Easter then ANZAC Day. Most people at work have taken the the days between Easter and ANZAC and today off to give a ten day break. I haven't because I am holding onto leave, but the building is like a morgue today and Auckland's notroriously congested roads are pleasently empty. When are you in AKL next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same, in the knowledge that even when I do try to take holidays people call me anyway, and expect me to fire up my email and cast a quick eye over things. Still, I have managed to work a few errands in, so it has felt quite relaxed. I'll drop you a line about the next trip to NZ - I'm still hopeful we'll be able to find a time for that elusive beer!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work. A formidable army to keep the Romans busy.
    I'm also a big fan of Xyston and I have a massive Successor army, two legions and currently doing Italian allies (all Xyston).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. I have some Republican Romans with Italian Allies ahead of me, so will be looking forward to getting around to them hopefully before the end of the year.

      Delete