Wednesday 18 April 2018

Pole-armed Janissaries

All the army lists I have read, from George Gush through DBR to Field of Glory, indicate that two or three Janissary units should be sufficient for most army lists. I did think about leaving it at three but, given how much I have enjoyed painting TAG's other Janissary figures, I had to complete just one more. This time a unit armed with pole weapons and swords:


















I used the Foundry Napoleonic British redcoat triad on these figures and was happy with the colour for these purposes:


















I am wondering however if the colour may be a little on too much on the orange side for actual Napoleonic British as I normally prefer a deeper colour of red for them. I realise officers' coats were more scarlet in colour while those of the the rank and file were of a lighter red, and they were called lobsters during the American War of Independence which is what this colour actually reminds me of, but it is not quite what I have become accustomed to using for British troops in past efforts. That project is still a little way off, so perhaps I will have got used to the idea by then:


















That's all four Janissary units completed, with two more foot, four cavalry and six artillery units to complete the project:

There are also a few more command figures to complete, including six of these special edition figures which Pete from TAG kindly throws in as extras on larger orders:


















This first one is destined for my wife's desk. She has been asking me for a figure and, given that she likes to remind me that she is one-quarter Lebanese on her mother's side, I thought a middle-Eastern person holding a big stick and telling people what to do would be most appropriate. Besides which I have five more of the fellows to complete over the coming weeks, which is more than I'll ever conceivably need.



7 comments:

  1. Your Janissaries look superb, lovely colors and excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the red is growing on me the more I look at them.

      Delete
  2. These are some very colourful units Lawrence. Would agree the red looks a bit too far towards the orange part of the spectrum for my tastes for British too. Looks a bit like the old Humbrol enamal MC1 British Scarlet authentic colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Yes, I think a Vallejo mid-red will be my go-to when I finally get around to my British. Which is a pity as I think I have stockpiled three or four sets of the Foundry colour.

      Delete
  3. A great looking Janissary unit, Lawrence. If you have a surplus, they can rotate appearances!

    I age the red looks somewhat too bright and towards the orange side for Napoleonic British, at least the rank and file.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I thought the Pasha imperiously giving instructions was perfect for a wife's desk... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Rotation is definitely what I have in mind for the Janissaries, having painted so many. I got carried away because the TAG figures are a lot of fun to paint.

      Delete