Monday 29 June 2015

Spanish 15mm Army

Even though the bulk of it was completed two years or so ago, I have only in the past month put the finishing touches on this Spanish 15mm Napoleonic army to the point where I can now consider it complete.

It is probably self-indulgent but, as I probably won't get the chance to assemble it again in its entirety, I thought I would set it up for a a few group photos, if nothing else than to remind me what I actually had actually managed to assemble.

Firstly, a view of the army from the front:
























And another view of the same from the flank:
























The figures are all Essex Miniatures 15mm, apart from the staff figures which are from Warmodelling who have an excellent range of Spanish personality figures covering most of the Peninsular war.

Here is a shot of the Warmodelling General Jose Pascual de Zayas figure in front of some light cavalry, who was one of the most ably performed of the Spanish Generals and performed so creditably at Albuera (primarily because he had taken the time to put his troops through several weeks' worth of manoeuvres prior to the battle):
























All of the flags are GMB, with the exception of those of the Spanish Guard and Swiss which I again purchased from Adolfo Ramos in Spain:
























The flag of the Guardias Royale in particular is amongst my favourite Napoleonic flags as it is quite distinctive:
























Twelve regiments of cavalry in all, including five of the yellow-coated dragoons seen here from the back, with a unit of guerrillas at their rear (which I am not sure I would be completely comfortable with):
























Here they are again from the front, with two hussar regiments and a line of artillery spread before them:
























I managed fourteen artillery pieces in all, with the number of figures representing how many pieces there are in each battery, with either three or four crew figures on each base:
























I attempted to add a bit of variety to the limbers by including a few ox-drawn pieces, to represent the difficulty the Spanish had in finding decent horseflesh. Notwithstanding that, the Spanish artillery was one of their best-performing arms:
























Also included are six units of light infantry to provide the army with a decent skirmish screen, seen here spread across the front:
























And with the also very able General Don Pedro Caro y Sureda, 3rd Marquis de Romana, and his staff visible in the background:
























The one nice surprise I found when putting together both this and its larger 28mm couterpart was how much colour and variety is to be found in a Spanish Napoleonic army, particularly that of the earlier part of the war before the rather more drab British supplies found their way through as replacements. Some of that may be seen in the following overhead shot, which includes elements of the line, converged grenadier battalions, the Swiss, the Guard, an Irish battalion, along with some hussars, dragoons and heavy calavlry:
























In case anyone is interested (and to help my own failing memory), the final numbers for the army is as follows:

23 line battalions of 24 figures each
3 Guard battalions of 25 figures each
6 composite Grenadier battalions of 12 figures each
8 provincial militia battalions of 15 figures each
1 urban militia battalion of 20 figures
4 light battalions of 20 figures each
2 light battalions of 16 figures each
1 band of guerrillas of 20 figures
14 artillery pieces with 48 crew
12 limbers with 20 figures and 50 horses and oxen
5 dragoon regiments of 16 figures each
3 heavy cavalry regiments of 16 figures each
4 light and hussar regiments of 16 figures each
25 mounted and 9 foot staff figures
























This gives a total of 1,265 figures along with 267 horses.

Probably more than I will ever need, but hopefully enough variation to cover most scenarios:
























Now to complete my 28mm Portuguese project, which I am optimistic enough to believe might be achieved before the end of the year.

6 comments:

  1. Bravo Sir!!

    Beautifully painted, and an army which so many wargamers ignore. Although I am concerned at your comment "probably more than I will ever need" - since when does a wargamer paint what he "needs"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Sir!!

    Beautifully painted, and an army which so many wargamers ignore. Although I am concerned at your comment "probably more than I will ever need" - since when does a wargamer paint what he "needs"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, LittleArmies. No matter how much I try, I always end up with far more than I intended, but I am sure they will all have their use at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good gracious, I think you have about half of the entire Spanish army in miniature there, Lawrence - and beautiful they are, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - should be enough for any games we organise, and hopefully the odd campaign or two in the future,

      Delete
  5. Lawrence! I may be very late to THIS party (like five years!) but My Goodness! Your Spanish Army is an impressive work of art.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete