Friday 20 June 2014

Spanish Light Cavalry

Four more units finalised, again all Essex Miniatures with Maverick Models flags. Firstly, two regiments of Spanish Hussars, the Espanoles and Maria Luisa regiments:

















This is one of my favourite Napoleonic cavalry uniforms, and the colour seems to work well on 15mm figures. I would be surprised if the Spanish lights actually did carry a standard in battle, but the command set came with a standard bearer and I always think they add a little bit to a unit if you can use them:

















I also managed to finalise two units of Chasseurs or Cazadores in the Olivenza and Voluntarios de Espana regiments:

















Essex miniatures are not to everyone's liking, but I have to say that I do have a very soft spot for them. I have found the castings to be generally very clean and, while they are a "true" 15mm, and as such stand shorter than other figures such as AB, there is enough detail on them to provide a decent result.

4 comments:

  1. These also look awesome! I really love your painting style with excellent colors...
    well done sir!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil. The nice thing about the Spanish is that you do get to break out quite a variety of different paints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good; I tend to think of the Cazadores a Caballo as wearing the Tarleton style helmets, but that is probably due to trhe nplate in the original Funken books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tarleton is much more attractive than the mirliton in my opinion, and I am looking forward to doing a few on some Portuguese cavalry I have lined up for a couple of months' time.

      Delete