The Welsh army list allows up to twenty elements of Viking allies which are classified as blade. A useful addition to stiffen the resolve of the Welsh fast warband and bow:
The figures are again Forged in Battle and are lovely sculpts with lots of variety. I was originally planning on doing the full twenty elements of four figures each, using seventy-eight Vikings from the three packs I had ordered with two spare Welshmen to complete the required complement of eighty. However I enjoyed painting these so much I have decided to go the whole way and order the rest of a full Viking army, so completed the first nineteen elements using only Vikings:
These are Viking Bondi figures, the Bondi being farmers and settlers. Given the Welsh Viking allies are from Ireland I thought these would be best to use:
The shields are a mixture of Little Big Men studio transfers, while the quartered shields have simply been hand-painted:
Some quite dynamic poses in among this lot:
That is the Welsh army now finished. The rest of the Vikings are currently en route so it might be a few months before I get back to them. In the meantime the plan is to get cracking on some English Civil War cavalry regiments so I can finally complete the three armies for that project.







No comments:
Post a Comment