Friday 3 March 2023

18mm ECW Oxford and Apsley's Regiment of Foot

Two more Royalist red-coated regiments completed in the Oxford and Sir Allen Apsley's regiment of foot:












I did both of these at the same time in three batches of 32 figures each and seemed to fly through them, always the case when I am enjoying a project. I found myself constantly misnaming Apsley's regiment as 'Aspley', the name of a suburb a bit further out here in Brisbane, and even accidentally put the wrong label on even though I had immediately reprinted it with the correct spelling (but have since replaced the label below with the correct one):











The flags are from Maverick Models and the flag for the Oxford Regiment is equally as exciting as that for Apsley's Regiment:











As we know, in the Napoleonic era soldiers would lay their life on the line in defence of their standard, but I'm not sure many would have been equally as bothered in the English Civil War. The shotte are the same as the figures for the other regiments, with the Oxford regiment apparently having been issued with red breeches which I painted on about two thirds of the figures for that unit:





















I went with the pike forward pose for these two regiments just to add a bit of variety. These are nice poses as they are at slightly different angles which provides a nice irregular look, and yet they don't stick into the backs of the figures in front of them:























That's five regiments and 240 figures completed for this project to date:


The order for the remaining Medieval German figures needed to complete that army has arrived so I have returned to that project to now complete it. In many ways this is a shame as I was really moving at a cracking pace through these ECW figures, but hope that the same motivation will be there when I return to them in a few weeks' time.

13 comments:

  1. More lovely work on your ECW project, Lawrence! These really are very nice little figures and having recently painted both 15mm and 20mm, I expect 18mm woukd be a reasonable suez to be working with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Keith. I quite like 18mm as they provide a bit more detail than 15mm. Many of the figures I have purchased are 18mm anyway, just marketed as 15mm.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, my ACW stuff is 18mm (blue moon) and it’s really a nice medium size.

      Delete
  2. Your redcoats look great, Lawrence! If you are enjoying the work on your ECW project and units are rolling out effortlessly, it is a shame to switch gears to something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was with great reluctance that I returned to the Medieval Germans, but I really just want to complete that project now especially as I am down to just the last couple of units. I just hope I'll be able to maintain the same level of momentum when I get back to these as I don't think I have ever managed to maintain such a pace on any other project.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Lawrence. The ECW project is really looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Only three more foot regiments for the Royalists to go then on to some Parliamentarian foot.

      Delete
  4. Looks really great! Nice job. The red really looks good. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. It's a Foundry British Redcoat triad which I wasn't too sure about at first but now really like.

      Delete
  5. Truly superb, no doubt...wonderful red shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. There are a few more red-coated regiments to come in those ahead.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking civil war regiments! I only hope your enthusiasm remains when you return to them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Just getting through the last of the medieval Germans now, so I'll find out within a week or so.

      Delete