Thursday 14 July 2022

15mm French Medieval Crossbowmen

The DBMM Spanish army list allow for two elements of allied French crossbowmen which I thought would be a nice addition. I found twelve elements' worth in my French pile and thought that I may as well paint them all as it will represent a nice start to the French medieval army I have ahead of me:











The figures are again from Khurasan Miniatures and I really enjoyed painting them. These are much more substantial than the more slightly-built Spanish crossbowmen I completed a few weeks ago:





















They wear a variety of armour and helmets and are available in six different poses:





















I figured it best to get them all completed in one group as otherwise I struggle to remember how I approached painting the figures, especially if I leave too much of an interval between batches:











In spite of this segue I believe I am still on track to field the completed Spanish army before the end of August, although the next batch to be completed will be some English longbowmen who are also an allied option albeit for the Portuguese variant of the Spanish list.

17 comments:

  1. They do look determined, good brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pancerni, I really liked the poses on these and found painting them interesting.

      Delete
  2. I like that statement “I found twelve elements' worth in my French pile…”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky I did as I was about to press submit on an order. It wouldn't have been the first time I have done that.

      Delete
  3. Lol...I suspect Lawrence has one of the largest lead piles in Christendom, Mark.....I believe he once admitted to in excess of forty unpainted armies in the queue! They are nice looking additions Lawrence and the added bonus is, now, you are working in two projects simultaneously. Add the English longbows and you can up that to three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that Keith. I'm thinking it will give me a head start on the English and French if I just bite the bullet and do these contingents now. I did an actual count on the unpainted armies a couple of months ago and it cam in north of forty, which has only further increased my resolve not to purchase anything which does not complement existing projects.

      Delete
  4. I love them Lawrence. There is something very dynamic about the basing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The DBMM basing is prescribed in the rules so there is sometimes not much room to do anything other than throw a few scattered rocks and some grass on them.

      Delete
  5. Great job, Lawrence! You can really crank out wonderful masses of stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'm starting to get some momentum going with this project now.

      Delete
  6. Nicely done another big unit completed 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. The English longbowmen contingent will be slightly larger again but are proving quite fun to paint which is always good for motivation.

      Delete
  7. They definitely have more heft to them than their Spanish counterparts; great work, Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Just the right amount of bulk and character for me.

      Delete
  8. Great looking crossbow men, you're steaming through this army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, I feel as though I have made some good progress over the past couple of weeks.

      Delete