Thursday 10 February 2022

15mm Samurai Camp and Baggage

 After having painted so many ashigaru I was very much looking forward to getting stuck into a camp and seven baggage elements. Of course, most of the figures are ashigaru porters and attendants, but at least there was only a handful of them and there was some nice variety in the poses:































The camp and most of the figures are from Eureka Miniatures, with the drum and drummers, baggage and the ashigaru holding the umbrella from Museum Miniatures. There is no doubt the latter are larger and more rounded than the more slightly-built Eureka figures, but I don't think the difference is too noticeable here:





















I found the samurai feudal symbols online and have used the circle with the three spokes on a few banners, so decided to use it for the camp as well. I hope in retrospect that it hasn't ended up looking too much like a Mercedes Benz trade display at a motor show:











The baggage elements are exclusively Museum Miniatures. They are great figures to paint and certainly a lot more robust than I was expecting them to be. First up is a trio of ashigaru having a drink and something to eat:











Next some baggage mules:































Some ashigaru porters, in two different poses:





















And finally two ashigaru carrying a palanquin, which looks rather uncomfortable for the occupant:





















That's the samurai baggage elements completed, with only twenty-one elements of sohei monks now left to finish. With any luck I'll be back into some 28mm French Napoleonic cavalry within a week.

14 comments:

  1. More nice work Lawrence and looks like you even managed to find a Geisha for the camp or am I mistaken ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, the geisha came with the camp pack. I took a leaf out of your book and declined to do her with the traditional white make-up as I was a bit concerned that it might look a bit strange at the scale (although probably no stranger than the seated general wearing the bronze mask).

      Delete
  2. Excellent work! I expected a camp. What I see is a small city! Wonderful job on all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan and, like you, I really enjoyed my experience painting Museum Miniatures figures and now wish I had included a few more in the army.

      Delete
  3. Superb! I love the camp and I love to see baggage and such on the war games table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Codsticker. They add to the army morale in DBMM so form a functional purpose aside from being fun to paint.

      Delete
  4. I was wondering what the Mercedes symbol wasn’t a Toyota one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mercedes symbol is much easier to do in 15mm. I wouldn't be surprised if they do subcontract some manufacture to Toyota or Nissan nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking baggage and support stand, complete with someone ready to view decapitated heads!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. He looks in the mood to be doing that.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, there was a bit of variety in this lot.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I didn't see this one, such a gorgeous army camp with so many gems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. The camp was definitely the most fun part of the army to do, and one I had been saving up until last to keep my motivation going.

      Delete