Monday, 19 April 2021

French 3rd Hussars

 I was looking forward to the French Hussars as I thought they'd add a splash of colour to my French Army, which is obviously why I chose the brown pelisse of the 2nd and have now followed up with the grey of the 3rd:





















Even the sabretaches of the centre companies is a rather uninspired '3':











At least the elite company and command sabretaches provide a little more elan:





















That said, given the prima facie unappealing colour combination, I think the uniform actually works quite well:











The other thing is, being Perry Miniature Hussars, there was no standard bearer and so no disintegrating flags to deal with. On this subject, I went out and purchased a Japanese-manufactured acid-free paper-glue. Rather amusingly called 'Yamato' glue, it looks like an oversized tube of Wasabi and comes out with the same consistency. Not cheap, but after losing five flags to three different brands of PVA, price was only a secondary consideration. Thinking by now I must surely have the problem resolved, I charged straight in and attached the flag to some French dragoons I have nearly completed, only to wake up the next morning and be greeted with the following:











As with the PVA disasters, the unit label printed on standard photocopy paper had also disintegrated:











I have been happily gluing flags and standards together for the past ten years, five of them in the same painting area, and the last month is the first time I have ever had this issue. Four different types of paper glue have now been tried, and I'm running out of ideas other than touching up the disintegrated flags and calling it canister damage (although another 24 hours after this photo was taken the flag had all but disappeared). I'm off to the art supply shop to try a fabric white glue next, but will make sure I try it on some off-cuts before I destroy any more flags...

16 comments:

  1. Great looking hussars, Lawrence! Too bad about your trials with flags. Hopefully, you have resolved your glue issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I purchased my fifth brand of white glue today, so will see how that goes on a few test strips tonight.

      Delete
  2. Splendid cavalry, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, the grey uniform works quite well on these.

      Delete
  3. A smashing looking unit Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I was pleased with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  4. Another great looking unit despite the subdued colours and don't worry, you have another eight or so units to go so plenty of scope for more flamboyant uniforms! Re the flags, are they all the same batch/manufacturer? Given the problems have never happened before, no one else has had similar experiences and issues are continuing despite changing glues, maybe the fault is with the flags...did you buy them with the figures years ago maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. I don't think it can be the flags as the same thing is happening to the paper labels I glue on the back of the bases.

      The only thing I can think of is that it must be reacting with something in the air in my painting room, which is a slight concern as I'm breathing it. I have gone over the other side of the house and glued some test strips using three of the five types of glue I now own, so I should know by the morning.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...weird. Well let us know how it goes....no one likes this kind of mystery, we need an answer!

      Delete
    3. Yes, it's turned into a rather expensive (at $AUD4 a flag) science experiment.

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking horsemen Lawrence! :)
    Good grief that is weird with the flags?? I just slightly diluted PVA no problem. Hope you sort it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I have never seen anything like it, and my worry is now that it is something to do with the air in my hobby room as it has only just started occurring. I made sure I left the windows open last night, and will be gluing in my home office for the time being.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking hussars, even if a little subdued! I prit stick my flags,it's designed for paper and is pretty cheap!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I think I'd prefer to be printing flags at home as I wouldn't have the four- to six-week wait from the UK, but I do really like the GMB products.

      Delete
  7. Great Hussars Lawrence...I am a self-confessed hussaraholic with some 10 or 12 regiments in my various collection. That glue issue is odd. I just use good old Sellys pVA and have never had a problem. Maybe the mix has some sort of anti-mold agent that is reacting with the paper or the ink. Have you tried fixing the flag with a fixative or matte varnish first - a light coat on both sides might be the solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I have tried five different makes including UHU and Bostik, but have since tried gluing off-cuts elsewhere in the house and a week on they seem fine. Which means it must have been something in the air of my hobby room which has been causing the issue over the past couple of months, which is a little concerning as I have been breathing it. No issue for the five years prior to that, and the flags that have been glued earlier are all fine, but needless to say I am being more diligent about making sure the place is better aired. Just the thing as we now head into winter.

      Delete