Wednesday 3 February 2021

French 8th Cuirassier Regiment

This is the third cuirassier regiment, and the first of two cuirassier units comprised of Perry figures. What I find a little hard to believe is how this is actually the first Perry unit I have completed, these having sat in the pile for the best part of eight years:











These are the charging cuirassier figures, augmented by three of the 'hit by cannister/volley' figures. I am a little undecided as to whether these last three make good wargame figures as opposed to being perfect for an arranged diorama or command piece, but this does mean that every figure in the unit is unique with no double-ups:











While this was a good thing, it did create some additional work in trying to determine what certain parts of a figure not visible on others actually was, as opposed to just being able to work it out for one and repeat. I also made a mistake in snipping away some of the tufts of grass connecting the horses hooves to the base on a couple of figures which had the effect of rendering them a little bendier than others, but once I realised the error of my ways I quickly stopped this practice and will simply have to remember to always pick them up by the base (which is what I try to do anyway):











The flag is again from GMB, and I painted the trumpeter in the later standard musician livery as opposed to reverse colours:





















Three down, with two regiments left to go.

18 comments:

  1. Very nice...some dynamic figures in the charging mode certainly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oregon painter, the Perrys have done a lovely job on these.

      Delete
  2. More lovely work on these cuirasses Lawrence. I think if I was using the casualty figures, I would split them up, one to each trooper base...but that's just me. I think it's nice to have a casualty or two in a unit, but a whole stand of three together is a bit over powering to my way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would spread the casualty figures out too unless making a vignette.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Keith. Yes, they definitely seem more suited to a vignette and they are a little more dynamic than I was expecting. I can vaguely remember my thought at the time was to provide a bit more variety within the unit, and I notice I have done the same with some line lancers I have ahead of me. I wanted to keep them together in case I end up substituting them out in a future Perry purchase, and that way I won't have to re-base.

      Delete
    3. Ah well, you see, there is some method in the madness!

      Delete
  3. Superb brushwork, Lawrence! How are you enjoying the change-up from painting 15s to 28s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fair to say I'm not enjoying the journey as much as 15's are so much quicker to do, and I have a greater feeling of momentum with them which feeds back into itself. When I finish a unit though I find I have a much greater feeling of satisfaction.

      Having completed 20 line units a few years ago (with another thirty still to go in the pile), I would like to now complete the core of a French army so at least we can get a game or two on the table, with me having to provide both sides. At least that means my Spanish and Portuguese might finally get a run, and it might motivate me to complete a couple of other French opponent armies patiently awaiting some attention.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work Lawrence! These are very fine cuirassiers indeed, and you have done excellent work on them.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. After three units I'm starting to get a bit quicker with them now.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking cuirassiers! They look splendid, I'm not sure about the casualties if I'm honest, very nicely done but I think I prefer them all pounding forwards!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Yes, I have a feeling this may end up as a fifteen-figure unit before the year is out!

      Delete
  6. Nice work Lawrence. Eight years in the leas pile...I don’t think I have ever had a figure stay longer than eight weeks...and even then it would be considered a over-stayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. I think some of them have been there since I was living in England back in 2002, so are getting close to 20 years. I made a list of the outstanding projects and actually ended up feeling quite stressed about it so have now resolved that I will not be purchasing any more figures, other than a handful here or there to augment existing purchases.

      Delete
  7. It's much more fun post–1809 when the additional facing colours were introduced, but the yellow facings always look good on the cuirassiers.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I wanted to include one of the 'jonquil' regiments, even though yellow is my least favourite colour to apply. I must have gone over it four times in an attempt to give it some depth and shade.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BSNL Recharge Plans, View the tariff of one year plan, and check the validity of each FRC 2021 to avail unlimited 4G data and calls with free SMS & applicable full talk time for your mobile in all India. BSNL recharge plans BSNL announced new promotional offer upto 31.03.2021 for PV 399 with 1+1GB data and PV699 with extra validity of 20days, and where PV1999 aill get 30days extra validity for both plan & freebies for the recharges during the period.

    ReplyDelete