Tuesday 22 September 2020

15mm Republican Roman Accensi

 It seems like a long time since the last post, but I finally have a few units ready to march off the production line with the first being 18 elements of Republican Roman Accensi:











These belong to the early Republican Roman period and form part of the DBMM Camillan army list, rated as inferior spear. They were essentially the poorest of the citizen troops and only lightly armed, often deployed in the last rank or alongside the Triarii to provide support and keep themselves out of direct trouble:











The figures are Xyston, as with the rest of the army, and the shield decals from Little Big Men Studios:











Two of the packs were a figure short, but a couple of surplus musicians very handily filled the space in the ranks:











The army list allows only six elements so this is a classic case of over-ordering, although I purchased them ten years ago so who knows what army list I was basing them on at the time:











Next up, 32 elements of velites in a variety of animal-skin headdresses, which means I may finally have the end of this project in sight

8 comments:

  1. Very nice work again Lawrence - the Xyston figures really are very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. Xyston are my favourite ancient range and I am steadily working my way through them, with a Macedonian army still in the pile ahead of me.

      Delete
  2. Well worth the wait, Lawrence! These guys look great and I like the variety of their tunics brought together by their same shields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Given that they were the poorest of citizen soldiers I wanted to convey that with a slightly less uniform appearance.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking citizen soldiers! Well worth the wait! It is odd when you go back to a project and have far more of a particular type than you can possibly need!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, I usually kid myself I have these things meticulously planned, and then discover down the track I have purchased double the requirements and then feel compelled to paint them anyway.

      Delete