Sunday 28 April 2024

AWI 33rd and 38th Foot Completed

The latest two regiments to be completed, the 33rd Yorkshire West Riding and 38th Staffordshire, represent the last of the plastic Perry British AWI figures:











Both regiments have four figures based on slightly larger skirmish bases, with basing for the British Grenadier rules which I am hoping will also work equally well for Sharp Practice:











The command element is comprised of figures from the Perry metal range:











As are the two sergeants:











I decided to pose the 38th using the at trail option, to provide a bit of variety and also because they are easier to pick up than those in the advancing pose:











The flags are as usual from GMB:











With the by now two obligatory casualty figures mounted on casualty/disorder counters from Warbases:











That is five regiments now finished, so a decent start on this project even though I am finding the figures quite time-consuming to complete:











I also completed the last of the Renedra rail fences for the project:











Seen here with a couple of skirmishers for scale:











I'll get a few more AWI regiments under my belt before returning to complete the ECW 15mm cavalry, which should definitely help get my figure count up again and help make me feel more productive.

18 comments:

  1. Super looking Redcoats, Lawrence, and nice fences too! My painting production has been sagging too but I got in a meaningful session today. I need to pick up my pace on the painting front but more games are calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'm still managing to dedicate the same amount of time to painting lately, it is just that these figures seem to be taking much longer than others to paint. Conversely I need to step up my pace on the gaming side of things as it has been a stop-start affair for me so far this year with only a couple of games completed to date.

      Delete
  2. The figures look good! As does the fencing. You chose two eras with different levels of fussing over details, and the smaller scale is one most find easier to paint through. It looks like more that one of the 28mm figures could easily be the equivalent five 15mm figures in effort. Hopefully the coming games are more cohesive for you and you can enjoy both collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good summation Joe. I'm finding these much more involved than 28mm Napoleonics which are notorious for being fussy.

      Delete
  3. They look great Lawrence, so even if time consuming, well worth the effort 👌 AWI is still one of my favourite periods, even if I don't get to play it that often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. I'm hoping to at least have enough done for a few games of Sharp Practice by the end of the year, so hopefully they will get a fair bit of game time if we enjoy the rules.

      Delete
  4. great looking redcoats and reminds me that my own AWI project sits unloved for almost a year now. But good looking AWI troops like these are the main draw to AWI gaming. and the fences match perfectly.
    good progress. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. that's why I'm keen to get back to my three ECW armies as completion is in sight for them, and I don't want to run the risk of them languishing too long. Still, a year isn't too long considering how involved our projects can be.

      Delete
  5. Amazing redcoats Lawrence. It is a beautiful period to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The uniforms do look very smart, and hopefully we'll get to play a few games before the end of the year.

      Delete
  6. A fine looking body of men, Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, fiddly to do but quite rewarding.

      Delete
  7. Nice work Lawrence. I like the autumn (fall) colours on the trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. They are Noch model railway trees which I individually based. I purchased a couple of packs hoping they will give the table a bit more of a New England flavour.

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Lawrence, Redcoats from any period can be a challenge, but when them are done they look great so stick with them 👍,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Matt. I'm hoping to get to eight battalions done by the end of this month, which will be the halfway point for this army.

      Delete
  9. Excellent looking redcoats, they certainly look time consuming and you've done a fine job on them, the fences work really well and you've got the weathered look nailed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I purchased a weathered wood paint set which has six gradations for the wood. I used four of them, which I think is more than enough.

      Delete