Thursday 28 March 2024

Two More AWI British Battalions Completed

It is now official; I am starting to appreciate and enjoy painting Perry plastic figures. There is a certain sharpness of detail which is more apparent with these figures and only a small amount of cleanup required, although having to glue on arms and hats still annoys me. 

That said, I am finding the AWI British uniforms very fiddly. Consequently the stellar start to what I thought might be a record year has now slowed to a snail's pace. Complaining aside, I have managed to complete two more AWI British battalions over the last couple of weeks:











First up, the second battalion of the 24th Foot Warwickshire Regiment:











These are all in the advancing pose which can be quite difficult to pick up when based, and the to-scale bayonets can bend. Consequently I thought I'd mix in an 'at trail' figure to see whether I like them posed that way:











Not my favourite pose, but at least it will make moving the troops around the table much easier. 

The command stand for this battalion is topped by the usual GMB flag:











Next up, 9th Norfolk:



















Yellow is my bete noire, and I must have gone over the facings of these figures at least four times. I am however reasonably happy with the result:











I also managed to complete two casualty markers, to accompany their respective regiments:











That's it for the latest couple of AWI regiments:











I have also recently tried my hand at some North American AWI fencing:





















I was going for the weathered look, and hopefully got somewhere close to that.

Anyway, that's it for now. Happy Easter to all who have managed to read this far.

25 comments:

  1. Fantastic work, Lawrence! Good to see that you and Perry plastics are finally getting on. Nice fences too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Metal figures will always be my first love, but I have really warmed to the plastics and feel they have a definite character all to themselves.

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling over underestimating the time it takes to paint a unit but I would say that the results have been worth your effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clive. I try to enjoy the process and not put too much pressure on myself, but can't help setting targets and become frustrated when I don't meet them.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed Lawrence! I know what you mean about yellow, I usually paint the area white first then apply the yellow on top, and even then, I am not always happy with the result!
    The fencing looks excellent....home made from match sticks,or....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a triad for my yellow Keith, which has a brownish orange base coat which is itself no problem. It is just the yellow layer that I find too watery and usually end up having to apply it two or three times. The fences are from Renedra. Nice plastic fences and quite reasonably priced, which require a bit of cutting out, gluing together and basing. I bought a 'weathered wood' paint set to apply to them and have been reasonably happy with the results so far.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering about the fences too. Thanks. 😀

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous troops as always, lovely fencing, glad you're coming around to plastics!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Iain. Yes, there's a bit of me that wishes I had invested in more instead of just buying exclusively metal figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent paint work Lawrence. Especially like the drummers. Top job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The drummers were suprisingly easy to do as the Perrys have made sure that all the white lacing is suitably raised. They are great little sculpts.

      Delete
  7. Great job on everything. Plastic can be fidgety but the price point usually makes up for it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stew. I would have ordinarily purchased metal for these but the core of the Perry AWI range is only available in plastic so I was essentially forced down that route. They are great value for money compared to most other offerings though, as you say.

      Delete
  8. Well they certainly look the part Lawrence, nicely painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Only another dozen or so British regiments to go now.

      Delete
  9. Excellent work on these fine looking units/figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, fiddly but ultimately satisfying.

      Delete
  10. A pair of lovely regiments, Lawrence. The fences look spot on as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm grinding my way through slowly.

      Delete
  11. Awesome painting Lawrence! Superb regiments, casualties...and fences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. The fences were an experiment with a new paint set for weathered wood I had purchased and I was pleased with the results.

      Delete
  12. I love the uniforms and hats for this period. The at trail figure looks very natural to me, and I love your casualty markers! The split rail fence look good as well. I wish I had your painting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. These plastics are so nicely moulded that it is almost a case of paint by numbers.

      Delete
  13. Looks excellent Lawrence, and yes Perry plastics are great though the assembly is what I dislike the most! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, and yes me too. I must admit though some of the other available plastic brands look far more fiddly with much more than just the arms and headgear to glue into place.

      Delete