Thursday 8 February 2024

18mm English Civil War Artillery

With sixteen pieces in all, I decided to tackle the English Civil War artillery for the Royalist, Parliamentarian and Scottish Covenanter armies in one large batch. I generally do not enjoy painting the artillery pieces themselves; the crew are fine, but I find gun carriages and wheels a bit fiddly and uninteresting. However, the Eureka models are quite nice which took away much of the boredom:











I gave the Royalists and Parliamentarians six pieces each, comprised of two cannons, two culverins and two sakers:





















And allocated two culverins and two sakers to the Scots











I did half the pieces in plain wood, but gave the Parliamentarians and Royalists two red carriages and the Royalists two in blue, just to brighten things up a little. I put in a bit of extra effort to paint streaks on the carriages and wheels to give the effect of wood grain. The models themselves had a wood effect, but not enough that it rendered itself easily to dry-brushing.































Speaking of bright, the blue looks very bright here but thankfully is a little duller to the naked eye:











I also completed a few petard stands, one for each army. I'm not quite sure when these will be used, and received one from Eureka as a free gift anyway, but they might come in handy as an objective or for a siege game at some point:





















That is it for the artillery and I now just have sixteen regiments of cavalry and three of dragoons across the three armies to go. I have decided to paint the bulk of the horses first but, once that is done, hope to be able to roll them off the production line reasonably quickly.

24 comments:

  1. Great looking artillery park! I don’t mind painting artillery so much but the limbers are where I have difficulty mustering the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right Jonathan, limbers are far worse than the artillery pieces themselves. A lot of work for not much return.

      Delete
  2. That is a massive battery Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Hopefully there will be enough there for most scenarios, and I can always mix and match where required.

      Delete
  3. A good effort Lawrence tackling them all in one go. They have come out nicely 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I'm glad I did as it feels like I put another chunk of the project behind me.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous looking batteries Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, hopefully they will see action before the end of March.

      Delete
  5. Those look very nice- your panted wood grain turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I did the same on the red and blue pieces but it got a bit washed out in the photos.

      Delete
  6. Very nice work Lawrence - I commented to a friend just yesterday that, along with cavalry, I am not too keen on painting guns (like you, the crew are fine!) I don't know what it is and why I find painting them a chore - but I do!
    No frame guns for the Covenanters??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Keith. Unfortunately there aren't any frame guns in the Eureka range and, because they are on the larger size of 15mm, I am loathe to mix in other manufacturer's models as they will look quite small in comparison. At least they have a couple of sakers and culverins to keep their opponents honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! they look great. way to crank them out to a high standard. should make a good addition to the armies. every army needs cannons! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. Thankfully the ECW army lists don't appear to require too many cannons, so sixteen across the three of them should be enough.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful guns! I am partial to Big guns. And I like the limbers and horses that pull them. I don't mind painting them at all Crews....not so much. I suppose I am better at painting inanimate object rather than people. I look at your figures with awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoy the crews Vol, but the the equipment. That said, one of my most pleasurable experiences was painting the WWII ships last year, but they were almost like painting individual characters in a skirmish game.

      Delete
    2. Well the quality of your painted ships shows how much you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent looking artillery park, I'm happy painting guns and limbers, I do like the coloured carriages for this period, yours are splendid!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I didn't want to go too overboard on the coloured carriages as I was concerned a battery would end up looking like a handful of jellybeans, but a few of them certainly livens up the look as opposed to a gun line done entirely in plain wood.

      Delete
  12. Gosh Lawrence, since I was last around the blogs you have been churning out top-notch Scots at a ridiculously fast pace.
    Magnificent!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, very kind of you. It has been a productive start to the year, and I just hope I can carry on.

      Delete
  13. Wow, most beautiful and impressive artillery Lawrence, love the petard stands as well, nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I'm not sure when I'll get to use the petards, but they may come in handy at some stage.

      Delete