Thursday 4 January 2024

2023 in Review

Looking back on 2023 there were a number of aspects which were quite satisfying. 

On the figure painting front the final tally was 1261 figures, all 15/18mm comprised of 1241 foot and 20 horses. On top of this I also managed to complete 294 GHQ WWII ships vessels (to give a total of 319) across six different navies such as the Japanese and Italian fleets below:





















This was particularly satisfying on two counts. Firstly, I finally managed to paint my entire GHQ collection, some of which had been languishing in the pile for ten years, and secondly because the German, Japanese and Royal Navy ships actually saw some game time using my gaming friend Dale's Mediterranean sea mat (as opposed to my much darker deep sea mat for which the bases were intended):











Gaming with Dale every second Tuesday since around June introduced a bit more variety into my gaming regimen, and we also played several very enjoyable games of Black Sails and are aiming for our first game of For King and Parliament, hopefully by the end of February. To this end I have made a return to my ECW project and have now completed eight regiments each of Royalist and Parliamentarian foot, with six regiments of Scottish Covenanters completed over the Christmas/New Year break currently being based:





















Aside from the above, I also managed to complete a 15mm Medieval German army which I had started in 2022, and which also saw table time with my fortnightly Saturday DBMM gaming group:











Most of 2023 with my Ancients gaming group was however spent engaged in an enjoyable biblical campaign as we worked our way through DBMM Army List Book 1, with me deploying Early Carthaginians on at least four occasions and playing in at least twenty games.

As far as blog posts go, I note that I am fifteen posts lighter than 2022. This was mainly because I found myself getting so carried away with, for example, painting the USN fleet or four regiments of ECW foot, that I usually opted to just keep going and assemble them en masse. In retrospect this has been a mistake as I end up not liking the photos as there are too many long shots which I have had to angle in order to keep the towering boxes either side out of picture.

Which raises two uncomfortable realisations. 

Purchases for 2023 were much reduced, especially as I swore at the beginning of the year not to engage in any new projects. That however did not stop me from purchasing complete Kallistra 12mm ACW Union and Confederate armies, mainly because I have never done 12mm and this stuff looked and is good, and also some Perry 28mm AWI figures because my mind had then turned to North America and I enjoy any excuse to use a GMB flag.

Fair enough I can imagine some might say, but I have also made the mistake of cataloguing over the Christmas/New Year break where my projects currently stand:

  • 15mm Ancients - Xyston Alexandrian Macedonian; Peter Pig Parthian; Khurasan Korean, French, and English (more medieval and renaissance than ancient); Miniature Figurines Trajanic Roman, Successor Greek and Carthaginian (with Khurasan Tibetan, medieval Spanish, German and Teutonic, and Xyston Gallic, Spanish, Carthaginian, Numidian and Republican Roman armies completed).
  • 28mm Ancients - Gripping Beast Republican Roman; Miniature Figurines Ancient British (with Renegade/Amazon Carthaginian, Gallic and Numidian armies completed).
  • 1/600th Ancient Naval - Xyston Greek, Roman and Carthaginian fleets of around 50 ships each.
  • 15mm Renaissance - Miniature Figurines ECW Parliamentarian, Royalist, Montrose Scot and Ottoman Turks, Essex Polish and Ottoman Turks, Mirliton Condottierre Italian, Eureka Parliamentarian, Royalist and Scottish Covenanters (with Eureka Samurai completed), Khurasan Spanish, French and German.
  • 28mm Renaissance - Perry and Empress Miniatures Parliamentarian and Royalist; Perry Scottish, TAG Poles, Muscovites, Cossacks and Tartars (with TAG Ottoman Turks completed).
  •  28mm American War of Independence – Perry British and Continentals.
  • 15mm Napoleonic - AB Miniatures Russian and Austrians; Miniature Figurines Swedish, Essex Miniatures British, French, Prussian, Dutch/Belgian (with Essex Spanish and Portuguese completed).
  • 28mm Napoleonic - Murawski Poles; Black Hussar/Calpe/Eureka Saxons; Perry Miniatures Brunswick and a few regiments of Confederation of the Rhine; Foundry and Perry Miniatures French (nearly half completed); Calpe Prussian; Miniature Figurines Russian (mostly complete); Hinchliffe British (nearly complete); Front Rank Russian, Austrian, British, Dutch Belgian, Bavarian, Wurttemburg (with Front Rank Spanish and Portuguese completed).
  • 1/1200th Napoleonic Naval - Langton and Navwar British, French, Spanish and American fleets.
  • 10mm ACW – Kallistra Union and Confederates.
  • 15mm WWII - Flames of War British, German and Russian
  • 20mm WWII - Britannia British, German, Russian and US
  • 28mm WWII - Foundry and Warlord British and German for an operation Sealion campaign.
  • 1/2400th WWII Naval - GHQ British, German, French, Italian, US and Japanese fleets completed.
  • 1/300th WWII Naval - Cruel Seas MTBs
This is aside from a stack of unpainted terrain etc. In my defence, I purchased some of the above while living in the UK so did not have to concern myself with exchange rates and expensive shipping apart from when it all got put into a container with the rest of our belongings upon our return to Australia.

The main problem with this approach however is that there has been a noticeable rise in figuire quality which, for example, has already caused me to replace some of my old Minifigs collection with Xyston figures before the former had even seen any paint.

I have also resolved not to purchase any more figures in 2024, unless Lucas Huber brings out something exceptional (which no doubt he will).

Either way, I have reached the realisation that I have gone beyond the tipping point of what is now achievable in the remainder of my lifetime.

The other uncomfortable realisation is that my wife has recently informed that what I implicitly assumed would be my wargaming room once the last of the children had mived out is now going to be kept as a rumpus room for our grandchildren. When I say rumpus room. I mean a fully-tiled airconditioned forty by twenty foot room which also includes a separate break-out area. In other words, the perfect wargaming room.

On the plus side, I have been given clearance to put a granny flat in the top right-hand corner of our property. Something else to aim at for 2024.

A belated Happy New Year to all, and especially anyone who has managed to read this far.


31 comments:

  1. A marvelous bit of work this year!

    How about the flat for the grandkids? I jest (maybe)!

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't be a bad idea Greg, but then I would be worried about them moving in permanently. To be honest, I don't mind the idea of a fully self-contained hobby area, and have already started looking at a few potential designs.

      Delete
  2. Lawrence, it is really astonishing what you accomplished in 2023. Is the granny flat for you or granny? You really need a better negotiator in your corner.

    You mention gaming but we rarely see a battle report. Maybe something to consider adding for the New Year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my problem was not mentioning anything up front when we first bought the house. In my mind I was looking at the rumpus room/home cinema as a perfect gaming area, but forgot to mention it to the wife who obviously had grandchildren in mind.

      I will definitely be adding a few AARs this year Jonathan. The Saturday group is not keen on having the game halted for photos etc., but I will be taking a few pictures for prosperity of our Tuesday night games.

      Delete
    2. I don't find it a problem taking photos of our games Lawrence - 2 to 4 per side, someone is always doing something while I float around taking my pics.....! No game has to "halt" to accommodate me.

      Delete
    3. To be honest I wish we had halted a few of our Saturday games to take photos. I have lost count of the number of times someone says "Do you remember when such and such happened" only for the other three to stare blankly at them.

      Delete
  3. impressive productivity. The 15mm armies are cool but I am especially impressed with the navies.
    I've also pledged to myself to not buy anymore miniatures in 2024. I'm not quite at the 'tipping point' unless I have way less time on earth than I think, but I do have too much unpainted stuff.

    grandkids stole your wargaming room??!! I knew children ruin everything. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annoying thing is that only one grandchild has currently arrived, but with four children we are expecting a lot more.

      I have definitely reached the limit of projects and what is now achievable Stew, but am sure there will be one or two things that will catch my eye along the way.

      Delete
  4. Lawrence, good show! With all those hulls painted you can have a lot of variety in your naval games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, that was the idea. I also included a lot of aircraft carriers and convoy ships which I hope will also add an additional dimension to it.

      Delete
  5. It's a very impressive show Lawrence, you are the "quiet achiever" of the group...less blogging about what you have done and more actual doing!
    It's not the grandkids who are the problem, of course...... women, you can't live with them ..... what, are you expecting more..... that's it, I am all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. To be fair, I haven't had a complaint about the $50K outlay and potential disruption that will accompany the construction of the hobby room. I just have to find the spare cash now.

      Delete
  6. Oh that post has struck a very strong chord with me. I did something very similar with my list of projects and quietly filed it in a drawer at the bottom of the desk.

    Similar to you I bought quite a bit when living in London and brought it all back to Sydney unpainted. But have continued in the subsequent 30 years to buy more and more. Got a great group I game with and slowly working my way through various projects but seriously doubt I will get through what I have.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful stuff on your blog Richard.

      I have been keeping the list in a Word document and find it useful in keeping track of where I am and in dissuading me from making further purchases. I keep reading where people have sold stuff and then regretted it a year or so later, in some cases only to repurchase it. There are a few armies such as Miniature Figurines Carthaginians and ECW figures which I have since worked on with later more updated figures and know I will therefore never now complete, so I will probably look to move these on.

      Living in London was just too good an opportunity to pass up to hoard figures. Every time I purchased something I can remember thinking how much freight I was saving.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful year you report on Lawrence.
    Your two realisations at the end provoked strong feelings of empathy along with hearty and loud laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Yes, I suspect many people can identify and what bemuses me is that this is not a small house. To be honest though, if there are lots of grandchildren running around perhaps I am better off disappearing down to the bottom of the garden for the day.

      Delete
  8. That is a fabulous count Lawrence...and such a large number of ships! It is interesting reading on many blogs how players 'of an age' are beginning to slow down purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine must come to a halt as there is no way, even at a hopefully increased pace during retirement, I'll be able to finish what I have got. I am just about holding my own with storage capacity, but too much more will also mean I have to spill over into another room which won't please the other half.

      Delete
  9. Excellent stuff Lawrence…an element of cataloging can be good thing, you do have plenty of stuff 👍 but I’m not sure I could hold myself to no new figures. It sounds like a good 2023 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly sure there will be some purchases along the way Matt. When I pick up one of those in the pile there are always a few bits and pieces I need to properly round things out. I'm quite committed to not starting any new ones though, unless something exceptional comes along.

      Delete
  10. A productive year I'd say and thorough cataloguing! I catalogue my figures as a way of sending myself to sleep at night and while I have a decent pile it is far from excessive, nevertheless I intend to exercise caution as far as purchases are concerned this year as on closer examination I've got plenty to paint! Of course, if/when I go to Salute/ Partizan it will no doubt fall apart!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I have to catalogue what I have done and yet to do as otherwise I'll forget. I'm also hoping that at some stage it will be a source of motivation, but at the moment I do feel a little overwhelmed. I always manage to resist figure purchases at shows as I normally have to plan these out, but am always tempted by the periphery such as terrain and gaming aids.

      Delete
  11. Wow! That is one huge list of accomplishments. Just reading it gives me an overwhelmed feeling! I still drool over your excellently painted ships BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. The sun rises here around 4:30am at the moment, so early morning starts are the key to productivity for me.

      Delete
    2. Even in the middle of winter it is light by 6:00am. The sun sets around 6:30pm in summer though. We don't have daylight savings as the people further north in the State keep voting no. Fair enough as Queensland is quite a large State and just under 7,000 kilometers north to south, which means those further north have quite different conditions to contend with than the bulk of the population down south.

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Lawrence! Well, it looks like you have achieved a lot this last year with your projects. They certainly look impressive too. That rumpus wargaming room though....hmmm - that is a lot of table space and storage too. Just make the Granny flat into the perfect gaming space...you never know the kids might want to trade play areas! :-) Best wishes, Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that Jason as I had the exact same thought myself this afternoon, in that I can see one of the kids potentially wanting the privacy of a fully detached granny flat, if and when it gets built.

      Delete
  13. A truly spectacular year from a hobby standpoint, Lawrence. A potential separate "wargames facility" on the premises, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, that is the plan, funds allowing. We have the space, and the other plus is that it would give me less lawn to look after.

      Delete
  14. I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on....cf-loans@outlook.com
    Whatsapp +393510140339 Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
    Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.

    ReplyDelete