Thursday 9 November 2023

18mm ECW Gell's and Brooke's Regiments of Foot

After recently completing the WWII 1/2400th naval project it was good to get stuck back into the English Civil War project. Having already completed eight Royalist regiments of foot earlier in the year it was now time to get started on the same number of Parliamentarian regiments. It took a week to get back into the swing of it but I soon found my pace again and have actually managed to complete the musketeers for all eight regiments, and now just have the pike to go.

The first two fully completed regiments are Sir John Gell's and Lord Brooke's regiments, seen here with Gell's regiment in front:











Gell's regiment apparently wore grey coats, and I found this quite a satisfying colour to paint. I hope the attraction will still be there once I get stuck into half a dozen or so Scottish regiments of foot:











I ended up purchasing some very nice flags from Wargames Designs in the UK. I am much happier with these size-wise, and ended up replacing all my Royalist regimental flags with these as well:











I have mixed in quite a few unarmoured pikemen into the Parliamentarian ranks, to provide a bit of variety and to distinguish them from the Royalist regiments where I have used primarily armoured pikemen:











The musketeers are the same figures, but I am doing them with a lot more grey breeches than I did for the Royalists:





















Lord Brooke's regiment was the only purple-coated regiment in the Civil War, so I had to include it as an excuse to break open again my very under-utilised purple paint triad:











English Civil War foot regiment flags are generally fairly uninteresting, but Wargames Designs makes the most of what there is:











Purple-coated pikemen and musketeers, with a few buff and tan leather coats thrown in:





















That's the first two Parliamentarian regiments completed with the others to now hopefully follow in quick succession:











I may also have convinced my Tuesday night gaming friend Dale to partake in a few games of For King and Parliament early in the New Year, which will provide me with that extra bit of motivation knowing that these units may actually make the table within the next few months. Next up, a couple of Parliamentarian Trained Bands.

20 comments:

  1. These regiments look terrific! Will these upcoming games be your first of FK&P?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes they will, and we are both in the process of reading the rules at the moment. They seem very straightforward, although I only manage around four or five pages each night before falling asleep.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. The purple coats are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, they will definitely stand out among all the other reds. blues and whites.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was good to get back in the swing of the ECW again.

      Delete
  4. Excellent Lawrence - I suspect almost anyone with a Parliamentarian ECW collection has Brookes Regiment included - Essex and Hampden are another couple of staples - plus Haselrigs Lobsters, of course!
    FK&P give a pretty good game - similar to To the Strongest, but a few extra twists and turns in the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting the the twists and turns. Up until now it has been fairly steady going, but I have read so many good things about the rules I'm keen to give them a go.

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures Lawrence….we all seem to be painting ECW 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. ECW does seem to be a theme at the moment and it made me chuckle to think you and I were probably both painting Brooke's regiment at the same time.

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff Lawrence . Really like the purple boys... it is one of my favourite colours, probably because I had an Aunt called Violet and every Christmas I would get a shirt, a sweater or sock of purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I'll take any excuse to break open the purple. Your comment has reminded me of the Christmas and birthday presents from what seemed like dozens of great aunts and uncles, so many I could never keep track of them.

      Delete
  7. Spectacular work. They look full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The Eureka sculpts are terrific to paint with quite a lot of variety to keep me interested.

      Delete
  8. Fab work Lawrence. Gotta love Lord Brookes are his Purple coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. His regiment is definitely one of the standouts of the period.

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking Parliamentarian foot! I am remiss in not painting Lord Brookes regiment of foot ,I haven't really got into my Montrose army yet, mostly still Napoleonic, I quite liked king and parliament, I also like To the Strongest! but haven't played it recently, anyway lovely troops!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. There will be a few iconic regiments I'll miss out as well, but you have to set a limit somewhere I suppose.

      Delete
  10. Catching up on old posts; lovely regiments, Lawrence. Lord Brooke's regiments was one of my first 4 Parliamentary regiments as well; after all, who can resist Purple coats!
    I'd recommend playing a small game of FK&P solo after reading the rules; they play great solo, and it will really help solidify most of the rules concepts.
    Do you have my highly superior(*ahem*) color summary sheet for FK&P? If not happy to send it to you. We have an FK&P game scheduled for 12/31 here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summary sheet sounds great Peter. My email address is plutarch64@gmail.com. The solo game with a couple of units will definitely be the way to go, before fumbling my way through in front of a live opponent.

      Delete