Tuesday 19 September 2023

Regia Marina Fleet Completed

The penultimate contingent in my WWII naval project, I had been looking forward to getting stuck into the Italians mainly because their red and white striped aerial recognition markings are quite unique and provide a bit of colour. I was a little concerned about whether I would be able to paint lines that were straight enough without ruining the effect, but found that all the GHQ models with the exception of the destroyers had lines etched into the deck which made painting them quite simple.

I also purchased the Lifecolor WW2 Italian Naval paint set which took a lot of guesswork out of approximating the correct shades and were quite nice paints to use.

Here are the three completed Littorio class battleships which were the Littorio herself, the Vittorio Veneto and the Roma (the Impero was laid down and luanched, but never completed):












Followed by the Caio Duilio and Giulio Cesare:











Six heavy cruisers include the Trento, Trieste and Bolzano:











And three Zara class cruisers in the Zara, Fiume and Pola:











Italian spotter planes had a rather unique design, with red stripes on a very light grey background as can be seen here on the foredeck of the Zara:











I came a little unstuck on the light cruisers as some of the names are incredibly long and just wouldn't fit on my labels. The Abruzzi's full name, seen here alongside the Raimondo Montecuccoli, Muzio Attendolo and Giuseppi Garibaldi, is actually the Luigi de Savoia Duce degli Abruzzi:











While the final four light cruisers are the Attilio Regolo, Scipione Africano, Alberto Da Giussano and Bartolomeo Colleoni (which I chose as it sounded a little like Corleone to me):











The Soldati class destroyers are so-called as they are all named after different troop types. Below are the Velite, Mitragliere, Corsaro, Carabiniere and Bombardiere:











Followed by the Legionario, Ascari Artigliere and Alpino:











Three Navigatori class destroyers named after Italian explorers in the Antonio da Noli, Nicolo Zeno and Luca Tarigo, along side three Turbine class destroyers with the Turbine, Borea and Espero, complete the destroyer flotilla:











With the aircraft carrier Aquila completing the Italian fleet:











Here are all thirty-five ships nestled alongside some of the overflow from my US and Royal Navy contingents:











Only a similarly-sized French fleet left to go, which I hope to have completed by the end of next week.

18 comments:

  1. Another lovely batch of ships Lawrence - and trust the Italians to have everyone beaten hands down when it comes to style - those candy stripe aerial recognition markings really make the ships pop! I didn't realise the Italians had an aircraft carrier either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. The design of the ships themselves are also quite stylish, and I thought the very same thing when I was painting them. The Aquila was converted from an old passenger liner and was therefore afloat but uncompleted at the time the Italians signed the armistice with the Allies.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is another fantastic navy coming out of your shipyard. I can see why you looked forward to tackling the Italian navy. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. I had been looking forward to painting these and they didn't disappoint.

      Delete
  3. They look absolutely amazing Lawrence. Love the red stripes and camo. Top job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Yes, the red and white stripes really give them a lift. I'm hoping to get them on the table within the next month.

      Delete
  4. Another fine looking fleet, Lawrence.
    Colleoni was a famous Condotierre who spent most of career in service to the Serene Republic of Venice. Upon his death in 1475, he left the bulk of his estate to the Republic, on the condition that a statue of himself be commissioned and displayed in Venice. This was done; the statue is a triumph of Renaissance sculpture and bronze casting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I feel I should know more about some of these famous Italian personages. I did look a few up out of interest and found them very interesting.

      Delete
  5. OMG those are really great! stop it. the other day I caught myself researching WWII naval rules....! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sam Mustafa's Nimitz would be a great place to start. The rules are simple but not so abstract as to be unrecognisable as WWII naval. A typical game takes around four hours to play, which I think is about right.

      Delete
  6. Another splendid fleet, Peter beat me to it but on my last trip to Venice I posted a picture of Collionis statue, very impressive if not in the centre where he wanted it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I've probably seen it myself, but can't remember it specifically. Mind you, that was just over twenty years ago.

      Delete
  7. I can see why you chose the Italian paint set. They look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. The Lifecolor Italian paint set is actually made by an Italian company, so it took a lot of guesswork out of trying to approximate the colours. I found their other sets good as well.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful stuff Lawrence! I love the varied schemes and camouflage. Makes my ships look like Charlie Browns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. I have been enjoying seeing your collection come together and have to disagree as I think they look great.

      Delete