Wednesday 10 May 2023

More WWII Royal Navy Ships

I had read about Sam Mustafa's new set of WWII naval wargame rules and was thinking about purchasing them when I got a call from a gaming friend I hadn't caught up with for a couple of years asking if I had heard of them and whether I'd be interested in a few games. Just the motivation to get stuck into a few more of the GHQ WWII ships languishing in my lead pile. First off, a batch of a couple of dozen Royal Navy ships. The four battleships below are the King George V, Renown, Revenge and the Repulse:







































































All the models are GHQ's 1/2400th scale. Some of them take a bit of putting together with, in most cases, gun turrets, superstructure and secondary armament all having to be glued into place. Each capital ship therefore takes me around 30 minutes to assemble, and another two to three hours to paint and base. Thankfully the GHQ ships are nicely cast and the parts generally fit together beautifully, and each kit comes with spares so if I press on the tweezers too hard and a gun turret goes flying there is usually a spare part on hand to replace it. 

Here are three Royal Navy aircraft carriers in HMS Illustrious:


The Ark Royal:


and HMS Furious (perhaps to be followed by HMS Angry and HMS Slightly Annoyed):



The flight decks are from Flight Deck Decals and I think give the models a real lift. The aircraft are tiny with around a 4mm wingspan and were fiddly to glue in place on the finished model, after which I completed painting the upper surface having done the underside when they were still on the sprue.

I also completed three more County class cruisers in the London, Norfolk and Dorsetshire:




Plus the two York class heavy cruisers in the York and Exeter:



Where possible I went for camouflage schemes which, although sometimes painful to do, makes for a point of difference from the standard Admiralty Light Grey. The paints I used are from AK Interactive who have specific Royal Navy, Kriegsmarine and US Navy sets which takes the guesswork out of trying to mix the correct shade. The only issue is that I discovered they are really airbrush paints designed for larger models, which means I generally have to go over the same areas three times.

Next up two town class light cruisers in the Southampton and Birmingham:



And two Leander class light cruisers in the New Zealand ship HMNZS Achilles and HMS Ajax, both of which joined the Exeter in hunting the Graf Spee in the Battle of the River Plate:




My great uncle was on the Ajax throughout WWII and I have his medals sitting on a bookshelf in a leather horseshoe box he made while on ship. Interestingly the town of Ajax in Canada was named after the ship and each road there named after a crew member. I'm not sure whether he ever knew there was a (Robert) Mayor Crescent named in his honour. 

Finally, a Dido class light cruiser in the Black Prince:



Three E-class destroyers in the Echo, Eclipse and Escapade:


and three N-Class Destroyers which I have done as the Napier, Nestor and Nizam, primarily because these were transferred to Australia during WWII and I would like to add a few Australian cruisers so we can play a few Pacific encounters:

That's it for the Royal Navy now. All this means I have been distracted from my ECW project again, and I have a batch of Kriegsmarine ships I am currently completing, but in between I have at least made a start on some Parliamentarian foot. 

16 comments:

  1. Wow! You’ve put together an impressive Royal Navy. Interesting back story on the naming of the Canadian town of Ajax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I only stumbled across it while looking up my great uncle on the ship's roster and according to his nephew, my late uncle, it is doubtful he ever knew.

      Delete
  2. Marvelous. Were there any issues with applying the decals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. Following the instructions I painted the carrier decks a light grey and then put a gloss varnish on them to help them slide. The first couple I tried ended up with some white spots which puzzled me initially but then I realised it was due to me touching them, so the use of tweezers solved that. Still a little bit of fading around the edges in places, but a quick touch up sorted that.

      Delete
  3. Quite a fleet you have assembled Lawrence. You'll right about the decals lifting the carriers. Top job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. It turned out to be the most fun and satisfying part of of doing the carrier models.

      Delete
  4. Ships are not really my thing at all in gaming terms Lawrence but you have done a fantastic job on these tiny models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. Yes, I think WWII naval can be a dry affair with the wrong set of rules, but we are quite enjoying playing Nimitz.

      Delete
  5. I need a size pic (not like that). How big is a 1/2400 ship? They look good but I would appreciate the beauty all the more if they are tiny. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of doing one Stew, but forgot. It depends on the ship, but a battleship is usually around 8 cm long, a cruiser 6 cm, and a destroyer 4 cm. Not miniscule, but quite fiddly when you're trying to glue bits on them.

      Delete
  6. Definitely not my period, but the ships are very handsome regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, not everyone's cup of tea but the new Nimitz rules do seem like fun and have piqued my interest.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking British fleet my dad served in the carrier HMS Venerable towards the end of the war, in Sydney Harbour for VJ day, I always thought Venerable sounded a bit pipe and slippers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some the British ship names really are the best, and it is great to see so many repeated over time. I was reading about that carrier group the Colossus class carriers last night of which Australia purchased one alongside two Majestic class carriers, and interesting that your Dad was on one of them.

      Delete
  8. Lovely flotilla Lawrence. Those GHQ models are the best, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Yes, GHQ are not the cheapest but the detail is exceptional, even if they can be fiddly to put together. I pulled out my old Navwar collection for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago and they were far less detailed than I remembered them being when I used them in the 80's. Not a fair comparison as they are half the scale, but even so most of the castings serve to give only an impression of what they represent.

      Delete