Friday 17 February 2023

18mm ECW Newcastle's Regiment of Foot

After having done a red and a blue-coated regiment, I wanted to try one with white coats and so decided that the Marquis of Newcastle's regiment would do nicely:












The same organisation as before, with four stands of pike and eight of muskets. I will be doing a few spare stands of pike for each army so I can make larger regiments as required, but am enjoying painting 48 figures for each unit as I am finding that a manageable number:





















The flag for this unit, like so many in the ECW, can probably best be described as 'uncomplicated'. Maverick models do offer a resizing option and I went with the standard after having had problems fitting them on some 15mm Samurai. As per Peter's, from Blunders on the Danube, suggestion I may yet end up re-ordering them from Maverick Models, but will use the current stock for the time being. The majority are colonels' flags anyway, and they may simply have been stingy with the material:











I will continue to use an assortment of figures on the bases. There are six variants in the standing/firing pose, but I am finding it really helps to keep the interest level up by adding a few others into the mix:





















That is three regiments now completed, with two more on the painting table and which should both be completed at the same time:











The medieval German crossbowmen have also all been prepared, so I will return to that army shortly to finish the last eighty or so figures.

Thanks also to Jonathan of the Palouse Wargaming Journal's suggestion on the thumbnail workaround https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2023/02/blogger-under-my-thumbnail-ii.html. It worked like a charm, and a lovely bit of IT support on his part.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely whitecoated regiment, Lawrence. On the gaming table, I think the whitecoats look splendid. Yours will too.

    Thanks for the shout-out on the IT support. Very pleased to see that this work-around worked for you. I was quite happy to see your thumbnail image appear on my blog list. Hooray! For me, seeing an image adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes, it was a great bit of work on your part. I think thumbnails provide a nice visual summary of what a post is about, without reading the title or the text.

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking unit Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. As Jonathan says the white gives them a bit of a lift.

      Delete
  3. Another grand looking unit Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I'm starting to make some real progress with this project now.

      Delete
  4. Your blog did have a thumbnail on my blog roll. I found it irresistible. 😀

    Nice job on the white coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, that made me chuckle. I still can't believe how Jonathan worked that one out.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on Newcastles regiment there Lawrence.....Marston Moor on the cards at some point perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got a nice ECW scenario book so there are a few I am keen to try, with Marston Moor among them. That will give me the chance to field the Scots, if I can get that far over the coming months.

      Delete
  6. Handsome regiment, Lawrence. Many of my early ECW units were those that also had a town of the same name here in Connecticut - Stamford, Essex, Norwich, Kent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, and that's a nice idea for regiments. I am just completing the Oxford regiment and wanted to include that as that is the closest town to where I lived in the UK last time around, apart from London and there will be enough of those on the Parliamentary side.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking Royalist regiment, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the white coats give them a distinctive appearance.

      Delete