Wednesday 17 November 2021

15mm Japanese Peasants

The samurai army list has an option for up to sixty elements of "horde", either as Japanese peasants or the more useful Ikko Ikki fanatics. The latter are rated 'superior' in DBMM and, while they only have a factor of 2, they can attract a plus 2 if scoring higher than the enemy. They also only cost 2 points each which, given most foot elements are 7 to 8 points and we normally play 400 point games, seems like good value to me. Quantity does have its own quality after all, and so I decided to go for the maximum and paint 300 figures:





















The figures are all Eureka with a choice of four poses, so each base has a double-up. 





















They were not unpleasant peasants to paint and certainly a lot less fussy than samurai, but with this many figures it turned into a bit of slog.





















Three hundred figures is almost like a mini army within the army, and I'm looking forward to picking my moment and springing a surprise when the samurai force first goes into battle (none of my group are active in the blogosphere so I'm fairly confident of preserving the element of surprise):











Next up some ashigaru with yari, which should be a lot more interesting to paint.


18 comments:

  1. gosh what an effort , they look fantastic, it would be quite fun to have your first battle with them in reserve and then run them on , en mass đź‘Ť

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. They are a little difficult to maneuver so I was thinking more a wall of them two ranks deep, interspersed with some missile troops and with more mobile troops on the flanks.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding in both quality AND quantity, Lawrence. Hard to believe many gamers tackle 300 figures in one batch. Although I do have a good friend who does this and it is almost unbelievable to imagine. You make my Feudal Japan collection look relatively anemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I actually tackled them in batches of 36 which is about my limit, and just kept going. Even though they are quite straightforward figures to paint they each still required around twenty different shades. I had a look at your Ashigaru yesterday for some inspiration for mine and reminded myself ho lovely they are.

      Delete
    2. RE: My Ashigaru. You are VERY kind, Lawrence! I have been entertaining thoughts of bringing the collection out onto the table in a remote game. Which rules? Still undecided but something easy enough to remember in the heat of hosting.

      Delete
    3. I'm going a similar way with the blue/grey tunic and red or black armour which I think looks very effective. I wonder if TtS would fit the bill? There are a few Samurai armies to choose from within the lists.

      Delete
  3. Awesome looking/painted Japanese peasant(Hd)Army check out my DBM Thracian army, your Samurai army my Thracians may be an even "brawling" battle on the table top, mind you, I would probably concede the game from exhaustion :o) counting the destroyed elements etc. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan exactly Phil, to basically grind down the opposition. I remember your Thracians and beautiful they are too. I have been struggling to think of a well-matched opponent to provide an even game under DBMM and Thracians are an excellent suggestion.

      Delete
  4. They look fantastic Lawrence ...as an enemy, why don't you paint up a few hundred Koreans?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koreans are definitely on the agenda Keith. They are a great army to use in DBMM, plus you get three for the price of one.

      Delete
  5. Wow that is an impressive mass Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of variety in them, but they are peasants. It will be interesting to see how they perform in battle.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking mass of peasants!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Not the most interesting of subjects, but they could play a valuable role in certain games.

      Delete
  7. Wow, most impressive mass effect, your peasants look superb, angry and motivated...I do like this kind of unit, unstable but gorgeous on our tables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Unstable is definitely a good description for them.

      Delete
  8. More catch up - that is a huge mass of revolting peasants. Seeing them on the table opposite would definitely be a "Who the heck ARE those guys?!" moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed this Peter = yes, that is the general idea, to provide that additional element of surprise even if they are difficult to control.

      Delete