Friday 17 September 2021

French 15th Dragoons

This unit has been sitting patiently awaiting the arrival of some replacement GMB flags for a couple of months, until I realised that I had a spare chasseur flag with essentially the correct battle honours and so was finally able to complete it. 











The 15e dragoons are the last of the four line dragoon regiments for my French army, and along with the Empress Dragoons makes five regiments in all. I used a lighter shade of pink for the facings on this unit than I had applied to the cuirassiers earlier, and think it contrasts nicely with the green uniform:
















As for the flag, well all it is potentially missing is Albuera. Who knows whether that battle honour was ever actually applied alongside the others  and, in 28mm, who will really ever notice anyway?



I'm eagerly awaiting a replacement order from GMB so I can complete the last nine regiments of French cavalry, including four units of lancers where the GMB lancer pennons should work very well.

I'm currently trudging my way through sixty or so 15mm samurai cavalry and will hopefully them completed within the next few weeks.

16 comments:

  1. These are more great work Lawrence - another nine regiments of cavalry....I take my hat off to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. Yes, there will be twenty-four in all, and then I hope I'll never have to paint another (apart from a French 15mm army which has been in the queue for twenty years).

      Delete
  2. Very nice, great job on these dragoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was pleased with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuff Lawrence. In many ways I like the dragoon uniform better than any of the French cavalry. It is simply and practical, and then they have that helmet…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it's my favourite too. Just enough to elevate it above the workmanlike chasseur uniform without being overly fussy.

      Delete
  4. Super horsemen, Lawrence! Are you still having issues with affixing flags? Anxiously awaiting your Samurai cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The disintegrating flag issue has been resolved, and now I'm just having issues with them going missing in the post.

      Delete
  5. Your Dragoons look excellent, Lawrence. I like the shade of "Rose" that you've used here, and... we get the compagnie d'elite, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I prefer this shade as well and was tempted to go back and re-do the cuirassiers, but will just say their uniform came from a different dye lot.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking dragoons ! I really like the facing colour and the greatcoat as extra protection! Couple of bendy swords in the command block,I've been worrying about that with the unit of Foundry Austrian chevaulegers that I'm painting,well they're on the painting table with paint on but I haven't painted anything in months! Oh flag looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Yes, I hadn't noticed that and will have to straighten them. The samurai cavalry I'm doing at the moment appear to be made of even softer alloy and even when I just brush a sword I look down to find it bent in half.

      Delete
  7. Great looking Dragoons Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I think the way the pink facings contrast with the green makes them stand out.

      Delete
  8. These are marvellous Lawrence, especially the élite squadron. Another nine. Excellent. That's at least nine more wonderful posts to come!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James. Yes, the horses for them are done, and I have just been awaiting the arrival of some GMB flags to reignite my motivation to complete the riders.

      Delete