Thursday 20 May 2021

French 1st Hussars

 The last hussar unit, the 1st hussars look a little more what I think French Hussars should look like as opposed to the comparatively staid colours of the 2nd and 3rd regiments:











This was the third attempt at attaching their flag, the previous two having disintegrated, but after having given my painting room a decent airing this one appears to be holding. Rather annoyingly I had ordered some replacements along with some chasseur flags, but received two copies of the latter by mistake. Deciding that I am not going to wait another two months, and because they appear to have the same battle honours anyway, I have used one of the chasseur flags instead:





















With their pigtails the trooper figures appear a little gnome-like, but at least they have plenty of character:











The sabretache decals are by Little Big Men studios, meant for Perry figures rather than Foundry but I managed to get them to fit with a little bit of trimming:











That's three French hussar regiments completed, which is all I am planning on doing:











Next up, the first of four line dragoon regiments I have in the queue.

16 comments:

  1. Stunning hussars. Lawrence, you have a talented hand and good eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you Jonathan. The nice thing about the internet is there is no shortage of resource material, and I no longer have to rely on one or two Ospreys.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work there Lawrence. I am pleased your disintegrating flag mystery seems to have been resolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. I'm just crossing my fingers that whatever it was doesn't result in a disintegrating respiratory system.

      Delete
  3. enjoying your French Napoleonic project Lawrence! lovely painting!
    cheers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I'm hoping to be able to get enough of a quorum together to be able to put on a game before year's end, given that the group I game with plays 15mm.

      Delete
  4. You are churning out beautifully painted French cavalry regiments at a fair old clip Lawrence. This latest no exception! Impressive and lovely to look at.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. There has been a bit of a backlog of near-completed units due to the issue with the flags.

      Delete
  5. Handsome hussars Lawrence, great details and splendid blue shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. French Hussar Blue is one of my favourite colours to use.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous looking hussars! I'm finishing up some dragoons, then more dragoons and some point hussars! Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, you can never have too many French dragoons. At least the different facing colours helps keep the interest levels up.

      Delete
  7. They look very fine indeed, Lawrence. The sabretache transfers look impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I think they were worth the little bit of effort although I'll have to get used to doing them freehand for future armies.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful work Lawrence, not a regiment I've done yet:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. From following your blog there aren't that many you haven't done!

      Delete