Monday 12 April 2021

French 2nd Hussars

It is nice to have finally finished another regiment toward the Napoleonic French army, this time the 2nd Hussars:



































March was a bit of a lost month in terms of completed units. I got near with a few, but suffered a few minor mishaps as the water-based PVA glue I used to put flags on two completed units ended up eating through them. I had never seen anything like it before and didn't believe it could have been the glue having attached dozens of flags before, so replaced them from some spares I had on hand only for the same thing to happen again. I now have several completed units now waiting for fresh flags to arrive, but thankfully the flag on the 2nd Hussars suffered only minor damage and was easily touched up:


















Then there was the shabraque issue. I noticed that Little Big Men Studios sell sabretache decals for Perry Miniature French Hussars and thought that might be a nice touch. I was planning on doing 1st, 2nd and 3rd Hussars and these were all available on one sheet, and was hoping they would be a close enough match for the Perry-sculpted Foundry figures.

Anyway, Steve from LBMS accidentally sent the sheet for 7th, 8th and 9th. He was most apologetic and sent the correct sheet immediately, but that necessitated another three week delay. I laughed somewhat when they arrived as the sabretache designs for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are among the simplest (the 3rd is basically a white '3' on a black background), and I probably could have had a go at doing them freehand anyway. Still, they are much neater than I could achieve and are not too bad a fit, although they required a bit of trimming and touching up:





















All minor quibbles in the great scheme of things, but it is nice to finally have all the bits I need to complete a unit:


















I have been powering ahead with preparation work for another nine regiments while I await the arrival of the replacement flags, so there should be a few more completed units rolling off the production line before too long.

12 comments:

  1. Great job in overcoming all of your difficulties in getting these troops to the table. They look fab, Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. There are fare worse things going on in the world, but it is frustrating when all you want to do is finish a unit. I'm normally very careful to have full stocks of what I require, but got caught out on a couple of fronts this time.

      Delete
  2. They look determined and superb...whatever the number on the shabraque...cracking job Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Thankfully they ended up with the correct shabraque designs in the end.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like March was a series of unfortunate events Lawrence. The Hussar look great but I dont think I could be bothered with the transfers for the shabraque covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The shabraque transfers are easily applied on the figures they were intended for, but were a bit fiddly on these as I had to trim them. This would have felt like it was more worth the effort on regiments with a more intricate design, but they do look good up close.

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking figures Lawrence. Never heard of PVA doing that before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. I didn't think it could have been the PVA and thought I must have spilled something on them, which is why I ended up sacrificing my spares to the same fate. It was only when I noticed the same thing had happened to the paper unit labels I stuck on the back of command stands that I realised it must have been the glue.

      Delete
  5. Splendid hussars! They look great, haven't really knuckled down to painting figures since the last batch,just assembling more plastic pery Napoleonic cavalry, can't believe it was PVA, sounds more like a solvent, still this units flag looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. yes, it was very strange indeed. I loved your cuirassiers, so I'm looking forward to seeing the next batch.

      Delete
  6. A very handsome Hussar regiment, Lawrence, and outstanding job on all that annoying lace on the pelisse and dolman... far better than I can do, for sure!

    I presume you are talking about transfers for the Sabretache, not the shabraque (saddle blanket, which only the officer has on these figures). I'd definitely get them for an outfit like the Chasseurs a Cheval of the Guard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. You would think after nearly fifty years and when my first ever box of soldiers was some Airfix British Hussars my father bought for me when we were on a day trip to Wales, that I'd not get my shabraques mixed up with my sabretaches! I blame my having had my head stuck in 15mm Ancients for the past five years for that. I have now corrected the text by the way and papered over my error.

      Yes, transfers for the Chasseurs a Cheval of the Guard would be great as I have them lying in wait for me, but LBMS only do French Hussars. I'll have to look around to see if anyone else does them.

      Delete