Wednesday 13 January 2021

28mm Napoleon and Soult

 First figures completed for 2021 are a 28mm Napoleon alongside Mameluke Ali. and a Marshal Soult figure. First off, Napoleon and Ali:































In spite of the fact I have purchased a fair amount of Perry Miniatures product over the years, this is the first time I have actually managed to paint any up. I came across this pack while I was looking for some Perry French cuirassiers and realised they had been languishing in the pile for eight years, and thought it was about time they received some attention, along with Marshal Soult who was in the same pack:































It was nice to get back into some 28mm Napoleonics, and I have five regiments of cuirassiers on the painting table at the moment which is proving quite an undertaking, but a welcome change of pace.

As for the final 2020 count, I managed to complete 1551 figures of 310 horse and 1241 foot and cavalry figures. These were mainly 15mm figures across two armies, in the Tibetans and Republican Romans. I also manage to complete a 15mm Numidian army, a few DBMM camps and wagons, plus 25 GHQ WWII ships, so all up a record effort. 

I'm not expecting to come anywhere near that in 2021, especially as I expect to put in a concerted effort to clear more 28mm figures out of the pile. I'm also going to drastically reduce purchases and try to limit it to just supplies such as paints and brushes as, in the process of tracking down the cuirassiers, I realised I will need a couple of lifetimes to complete what I already have. That is unless something new, shiny and irresistible comes along, of course.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Lawrence! You painted a lot of figures in 2020 and I am anticipating a steady stream of 28s in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I am hoping it will be a steady stream, albeit a slightly slower one as I had forgotten how much more time painting 28mm figures consumes when compared to how quickly 15mm figures can be completed.

      Delete
  2. Very nice figures and a beautiful paint job Lawrence. I am sure you will work your way through a steady flow of twenty eights in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, definitely more 28mm figures planned for this year, although I have already had a call from one of my gaming groups to get stuck into a 15mm medieval army as well to take on some 100 Year War English, so I'll have to squeeze that in at some point.

      Delete
  3. Well done, beautiful command stands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I seem to have accumulated a lot of Napoleonic French command figures yet to be completed, including another two or three Napoleons.

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. My first crack at some Perry figures, and I really enjoyed doing them.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you back onto the big stuff Lawrence. I need to do a Napoleon figure...let’s face it doesn’t everyone with a Napoleonic army, but my decision is which one. I quite like the grumpy one with his foot on a drum based on the famous painting of him at Borodino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sculpt is one of the main reasons I decided to purchase Foundry figures ten or so years ago, and it still holds its own today. Funnily enough I came across the pack only today when I was organising the next batch of cavalry to paint, once I have completed the cuirassiers. I had forgotten though how much longer it takes me to do 28mm as opposed to being able to race through 15mm.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking Napoleonic command! I've got 4 regiments of primed French cuirassiers staring at me balefuly,maybe after some more gendarmes! I thought you were moving onto a renaissance army next?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, I was but then realised these cuirassiers were covered covered in such a layer of dust after two and a half years sitting on the top shelf of my painting desk that I had to do something with them. I have completed the sixty horses involved and realised that with the same effort I would have had most of a Cossack renaissance army completed, but that's probably going to take a backseat for a while now as I get some more French cavalry out of the way.

      Delete
  7. Very nice painting on these, Lawrence.

    60 28mm Cuirassiers! Since my units have only 8 figures each, I have 5 units of 8 = 40 all told - one each faced ecarlate, jonquil, rose, aurore, and lie-de-vin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing one of each facing colour was a good idea Peter. I have included 11th as I wanted at least one with rose pink facings, there will be one with jonquil, and the three ecarlate-faced regiments. Like yourself though, I'm expecting five regiments will be enough.

      Delete
  8. These look very good. Roustam is particularly impressive.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. He was my favourite out of the three of them.

      Delete