Thursday 7 May 2020

15mm Tibetan Army Completed

The twelve elements of dismounted cavalry marked the end of this project, so I thought I'd gather the units together for a few group shots:


















All the figures are from Khurasan Miniatures, with all from their Tibetan range except for the nomadic cavalry which are from their Mongol collection, and the two heavy rope-pull stonethrowers from the Sung Chinese range:














































I painted up the maximum number of armoured cavalry allowed by the DBMM army lists, with thirty-three elements in all including the three C-in-c and sub-general elements:




































We normally play 400 point games which would allow me to field most of these which I'd like to try depending upon the opponent, although it would probably not make for the most interesting of encounters and no doubt just be a case of line them up and roll forward:


















In total, the army is comprised of the following:

3 armoured cavalry general elements
30 armoured cavalry elements
14 nomadic cavalry elements
18 nomadic light horse
12 elements of dismounted heavy cavalry
6 elements of spearmen
6 elements of bowmen
8 elements of Himalayan skirmishers
2 heavy roper-pull stonethrowers



















All up this represents 299 foot and mounted figures and 177 horses, or 476 figures and two artillery pieces in total, and took me around three months which I am quite pleased with.

Some of the army has already seen one game, and we are lining up another for them once gaming has resumed, so it will be nice to roll some dice and see them in action again.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, it was a nice little project that came together quickly.

      Delete
  2. What a great looking army...wonderful work Lawrence...hope to see a report if them in action in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. When we start gaming again I'll have to remember to take a few photos. I wish I had done more of that in the past as it would have been good to reminisce over a few games over the past couple of months of self-isolation.

      Delete
  3. Most impressive and superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was happy with the way they came together.

      Delete
  4. "Most impressive and superb" to quote Phil! Your Tibetan army is one in which I had not seen before. What a great looking and interestingly composed force. Brilliant brushwork, as always. Congratulations on building this army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Your recent Samurai additions have me thinking about them for my next Asian army, once I have got through a few more in the queue.

      Delete
  5. An unusual force to see on the tabletop; very impressive! Do you have opposition for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker. The group I game with have a number of Chinese armies, so the plan is that the next game will be against them. The first outing was against Ptolemaic Egyptians which was obviously non-historical and never going to end well for the Tibetans as it is difficult to munch through a wall of four-deep pike, but they acquitted themselves quite well and I enjoyed playing with them.

      Delete
  6. Quite a gorgeous and massive army. Fighting a Pike armed army would be like fighting a cataphract heavy army like Sarmatians or something, so not all that out of the realm of plausibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Palmyrans are the other one I was thinking of, as they are regular and are composed mainly of heavily armoured cavalry and light horse, albeit they have the option under DBMM to field Roman allies. The Tibetans took a few ranks of the pike away and nearly broke through in places, but in the end just ran out of numbers. Some Roman allies would have been very helpful.

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking Tibetan army! That's a lot of heavy horse! Palmyrian always sound interesting to me but Samurai would be fun too, to many choices!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I have purchased a few add-ons to give me the option of fielding the Parthians I have ahead as Palmyrans, although I will have to look have to look into the potential differences when I get closer to doing them.

      Delete
  8. Awesome sight of (historical colours) painted miniatures - well done Lawrence!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. It was certainly a nice change of pace and a slightly different project to undertake.

      Delete
  9. Excellent work! I am just starting an army for DBA 3.0 and have plundered all sorts of figures for my cataphracts.

    Regards, Chris.

    https://pigsinspaaace.wordpress.com/2022/10/06/dba-3-0-iii-15-tibetans-getting-stabby/

    ReplyDelete