Thursday 23 January 2020

15mm Himalayan Tribesmen

I have been wanting to sample Khurasan Miniature's figures for some time and decided to take the plunge with a DBMM Tibetan army, mainly because it is something a little different but also because they are quite a decent army to field under those rules.

I thought I'd start off with some Himalayan tribesmen, bow-armed for skirmishing:


















There are a choice of two poses, which is fine by me as there are two figures on each base:


















Khurasan appear to contract to a number of different sculptors so I can't attest to the consistency between ranges but the Tibetans appear to be consistent within themselves and are true 15mm, therefore much smaller in stature than the Xyston Ancients I spent most of last year working on:


The figures are quite detailed, but I found that I had to work harder than what I was used to in order to pick out some of it, only realising that it was there when I had completed a few of the figures as opposed to Xyston sculpts where some of the detail is almost exaggerated in size and relief, and therefore much easier to paint. I would probably describe the detail on these figures as subtle, but comprehensive:





































That's the first unit of this army completed, with some Tibetan cataphracts to hopefully join them before too long:


















Next up however will be some Republican Roman legionaries for another army I am hoping to complete concurrently with the Tibetans.

9 comments:

  1. For me, this an unusual army that I know nothing about. Figures look good and your brushwork excellent. Now, I know something about Republican Romans and look forward to following their progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, nor do I Jonathan, but it is fun learning as I go. I feel a lot more comfortable around Republican Romans as well, so I hope I can do them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Lawrence....how do like these figures in comparison with the Xyston ones you have been using recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments on your female gunslinger mirrored my thoughts on these exactly Keith. I like the figures, but am not finding them as "intuitive" as the Xyston figures, but hope it is just a matter of adapting to a new sculpting style after having worked on the others for the best part of eighteen months solid. Plus, the Xyston figures are much larger, so it is easier to pick out the detail.

      Delete
  4. Unusual and beautiful army, lovely job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, they are definitely something a little different.

      Delete
  5. Lovely troops from an army that I know nothing about!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. The main component of the army are some fully-armoured cataphract type cavalry, which really surprised me. Apparently the Tibetans developed quite a reputation for their iron armour in their long period of conflict with the Chinese.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete