Monday 8 July 2019

15mm Celtiberians and Balearic slingers

The last two troop types for my 15mm Spanish project now completed. First, another twenty elements of Balearic slingers:


















I had actually completed another eight elements earlier thinking they were Gauls, so that makes twenty-eight elements in total which is now quite a few more than I need. I also realised that what I originally thought was a headband is in fact representation of a spare sling that  Balearic slingers often used to carry tied around their heads, as seen here on the figure on the left:


















There are four figures in each pack of eight, and they are fairly simply dressed so easy to complete:




































Finally, I completed sixteen elements of Celtiberians as an allied contingent:


















These are classified as Fast Blades in DBMM so should provide a bit of variety alongside the Iberian scutarii and caetrati:


















They were fierce warriors and proved difficult for the Romans, defeating several attacks until Scipio prevailed at the brutal siege of Numantia:


















Each Xyston pack of eight has six different designs, so there was a fair bot of variety to play around with:




































That's it for the 15mm Spanish project. I'll try to get the completed army together for a group shot and final head count over the coming days, then on to some Carthaginian figures I have prepared. I also have some French Napoleonic cuirassiers crying out for attention, but am on a roll with the 15mm ancients so might keep going for a bit longer with them until I finally run out of steam.

12 comments:

  1. Great results, Lawrence! I look forward to seeing the group photo of this massive Spanish army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I hope to have it fully assembled before the end of the week. I find it serves a useful purpose in reminding me what I have completed a couple of years down the track, and I'd be in disarray if Blogger suddenly disappeared.

      Delete
  2. Splendid units, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was pleased with the way these turned out.

      Delete
  3. Looking good! Certainly many Ancient slinger figures can be used for m,any more armies than just those they were designed for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I remember when I painted the first sixteen or so that they looked a bit "different", so luckily they were quite easy to separate from my other Gallic slingers and re-base without too much bother. That left me with eight elements of actual Gallic slingers, so thankfully two elements more than I actually need for that army.

      Delete
  4. Great work as usual Lawrence. These 15mm Xyston figures really are very nice considering their diminutive stature and you do a beautiful job on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The raised detail of the castings makes it a lot easier to bring out the best in them.

      Delete
  5. Awesome work Lawrence! Xyston miniatures are my favorites to paint up as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, they are great figures and also reasonably priced which is a bonus.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking slingers and your Celtiberians are as always splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, although it's always nice when you know you have painted the last one!

      Delete