Wednesday 6 March 2019

Last of the 15mm Gauls

While I had initially intended the project to be finalised with the completion of the Gallic chariots, I had four soldurii figures left over and also decided to place one final order for five more elements of Gallic armoured cavalry. Here they are completed:


















I wanted to paint two of these with white horses, to represent a couple of additional mounted generals:




































While the other three elements, with one shown here, bring the total number of armoured Gallic cavalry elements up to ten:


















The soldurii are four figures left over from the two packs I ordered as chariot riders. The figures are so nice it seemed a shame not to paint them, and they have now joined their already completed compatriots:


















Only a few odds and ends but this now finally represents the end of the project which, after six months, I am very happy about. Having completed the same army in 28mm ten or so years ago, I have been telling myself that these are the last Gauls I will ever paint. That is until I remembered I have thirty or forty 28mm Asterix figures somewhere in the lead pile.

I'll try to haul the completed army together for a group shot over the coming days, and then it's back to some more 15mm Ancient Spanish.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. It is quite a relief to have finally finished this project!

      Delete
  2. I have some of those Asterix figures somewhere. I had this plan to do a beer and skittles type game involving them, but it went nowhere and I ended up using some of them as statues for various Italian and Spanish terrain projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought them I thought they were quite rare, but it seems that they were quite a big seller in their day. I'll probably end up basing them as a camp or baggage element and include them with my 28mm Gauls for novelty value.

      Delete
  3. I remember those Asterix figures of yours Mark - look forward to seeing what you do with yours Lawrence - these "real" Gauls are, as always, excellently painted and based!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The Asterix ones are very good, and full of character. I'm quite looking forward to giving starting on them now, if only I could remember where I have stored them.

      Delete
  4. You've done a super job bringing this project to completion, Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, it is always a source of great satisfaction to finalise a project, and then look forward to the next one!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous looking cavalry,they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, and apologies for having not seen your comment earlier!

      Delete