Thursday 18 October 2018

Two more 15mm Gallic warbands

Another 120 Gallic warband figures completed, which amounts to 30 additional elements of four figures each:























Given that they are 15mm I probably should be knocking them out much faster than I am, but the Xyston figures are quite detailed and I find myself fiddling around a fair bit in an attempt to bring out the detail:


















I particularly like the figure on the right-hand side of this command stand, waving his sword and dragging a rather large carnyx around; a Gallic trumpet, for those wondering:


















I became a little bored with the 'standard' 40mm x 20mm bases, so experimented with a few 40mm square bases with eight figures on each:


















While I do quite like the ability to arrange the figures in a more irregular fashion, painting the bases once the figures were in place was much more difficult:


That said, I'll probably try a few more as it will assist figure movement around the table and hopefully lessen the number of spears that will have to be reattached:


















There are another 48 or so Gallic cavalry in the queue which I should have completed over the next month or so. That should represent the half-way mark of this particular project and, once completed, I'm thinking of segueing back to some Foundry French cuirassiers I have prepped and which have now accumulated a thin layer of dust.

I find going up to 28mm figures after 15/18mm is always such a pleasure, and wish I could remember to change things up or down more regularly.

10 comments:

  1. Impressive mass effect and great job, these warbands look so fierce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, and I hope they live up to their appearance when they finally make it to the gaming table.

      Delete
  2. These are just superb Lawrence! Fantastic detail on the shields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. The shield decals are a little fiddly in 15mm, and I keep finding bits of backing paper weeks later, but they are well worth the effort and far better than I could ever do free-hand.

      Delete
  3. That's a lotta Gaul(s).

    Very nicely done, Laurence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, and I have managed to resist the temptation to use that line myself so far, but only just!

      Delete
  4. More lovely Guals! Lots of figures on a base is a pain but usually worth it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I think I'll do a few more of the eight-figure bases as it does make storage and manoeuvre around the table much easier.

      Delete
  5. Individually, these are impressive. En masse? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I have another eighty or so warband figures to go, along with the same number of Gaesati, so I am hoping they will look substantially menacing when they are all assembled. Whether they perfom that way is of course another matter.

      Delete