Wednesday 29 August 2018

Gallic Warband

After the recent completion of a renaissance Ottoman Turkish army I was planning to get back into my 28mm Napoleonic French project, but have decided to take another detour and start on some 15mm Xyston Gauls which have been lying around for several years.

It took just over three weeks, but I managed to complete ninety-six figures toward an army in the form of some warband figures:


















The Xyston figures are comprised of eight warband poses, along with another eight leader and musician/standard-bearing figures, so when assembled they look nicely irregular:



















I found it took some adjustment to move down a scale, it being over three years since I last picked up a 15mm figure. The Xyston miniatures are however very nicely detailed and easy to paint, making the transition much easier than I anticipated:



















The shield transfers are again from Little Big Men Studios which are great to use, even with my limited modelling skills. I thoroughly recommend a "self-healing" mat and an "Xacto" knife for this purpose:


















That's pretty much two warbands completed, with another four to go:


















I have the first of the Gallic cavalry on the painting table at the moment, so hope to have them completed soon.

6 comments:

  1. Wow,thats a tremendous amount of detail in this scale,they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The quality of the Xyston castings really helps in terms of detail.

      Delete
  2. Great job, love the overall impreesion, and the painting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I am a big fan of Essex figures for 15mm, and I enjoy looking at your ancients collection, but I found the Xyston figures quite easy to paint.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm hoping to get a couple of armies completed relatively quickly so we might finally get a game of TtS going, although I suspect Version 2.0 may be out by then.

      Delete