Wednesday 30 May 2018

More Feudal Sipahis

A second unit of timariot sipahis completed, this time a sword-armed unit:


















Most of the shields again incorporate part of a decal from Little Big Men Studios which, because they weren't designed for TAG figures, are not an exact fit and so have to be blended in with the uncovered areas of the shield:


















As I mentioned in response to Peter/Gonsalvo on the previous post, I am glad I went this route as I think they add an extra dimension to the figures and provide a result that I would not be able to achieve freehand:


















As with most TAG mounted units there are three command figures and three poses for the rank and file, one of which carries a bow and is a welcome inclusion as this continued to be standard equipment long after the sipahis obtained firearms:


















That's seven cavalry units completed, with the remaining two currently on the painting table. I have just realised that I have now passed the six-month mark on this project so it has been a larger investment in time than originally planned, given that it was intended only as a diversion after having painted twenty or so Napoleonic French line units. I am thoroughly enjoying the break from Napoleonics however and my mind is now turning to taking on one of several 15mm ancient armies I have in the lead pile, once this army is completed.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful additions, what a splendid cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was pleased with the way they turned out, and the TAG figures are very easy to paint.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Sipahis, Lawrence! This project has become quite substantial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I don't mind a little bit of project creep, especially when I'm enjoying painting the figures so much.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely bunch Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - I'm getting close to being able to present the parade you mentioned.

      Delete
  4. Hi

    Great painting am new to ottomans would these figures be suitable for napoleonic era

    Ian

    ReplyDelete