Tuesday 9 January 2018

Last of the Azabs

This unit is comprised of sword and pole-armed Azabs and represents the third and last unit:


















There is a decent variety of figures in the TAG unit builder pack which makes them fun to paint, although I did notice that there was some flash behind some of the shields which I personally found too difficult to remove. I ended up leaving these parts black and painting around them, which was no great imposition:
Below is a close-up of a stand of sword-armed figures:



















And one of pole-armed foot:


















I probably could have been more adventurous with their shields but, given that Azabs were recruited from provincial villages and were probably not going to be spending a great amount of time worrying about shield design, I decided to be lazy and save the effort for some Sipahi cavalry which are next in the queue.

And what an effort that is proving to be with the first three horses taking the better part of a week alone, although I am hopeful I'll be able to speed up as I can lay down a template as to how best to approach this part of the project. With any luck I may have something to show for my efforts before the end of the month.

8 comments:

  1. Superb, agree with you for the shields...even if it's a great pleasure to paint them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I believe there will be enough colour amongst the forthcoming sipahis to more than compensate for the restrained appearance of the Azabs.

      Delete
  2. They look very fine Lawrence. I think fairly plain shields were the way to go for these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, and they shouldn't look out of place alongside their fellow bow and musket armed brethren units.

      Delete
  3. Ii missed this post. They look grand. Nice mix of colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I tried not to go overboard with too many garish colour selections.

      Delete
  4. lovely figures. TAG really do wonderful ottomans. my entire army is from them. i currently have 16 Levant, 36 Akinji and 12 Sipahis of the porte on my painting desk.

    great paint jobs and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies Mr Thomson, as I had missed this comment. That sounds like a great force you are building up, and I hope you post some photos for us to enjoy.

      Delete