Tuesday 14 November 2017

French Line Infantry Colonels

I accumulated twenty-two colonels that came with the Foundry French line command packs, so decided I may as well use them and base them with some surplus line figures:


















I'm not sure that I will ever need this many, especially when there are a considerable number of the higher command echelon to complete, but I couldn't stand the thought of them sitting idle:
They are a little repetitive as they are all in the same pose:


















Adding different figures:




































And using a variety of horse colours helped mix things up a bit:




































I like the Foundry figures, but find the metal rather soft and bayonets and plumes have a propensity to snap easily. This was however a good way to use up a couple of the march attack figures who were sans bayonet:


















I have quite a few French allied contingents to complete down the track, so now have sufficient staff figures to cover them as well. Apart from that, I have enough to form them up into their own mounted regiment if ever I need to:


















That's the French line part of the project completed. There are another dozen later line regiments stored somewhere which I hope to complete in the next couple of years, but I feel like a change and will paint some Ottoman Turkish renaissance Janissaries that have jumped the queue and made their way on to the painting table.




10 comments:

  1. You have done what I surely would have done in the same circumstances, only more handsomely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you Peter. It almost feels like saving money, in a strange roundabout kind of way.

      Delete
  2. Excellent, so many and so beautiful additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I was quite pleased with the way these turned out.

      Delete
  3. Well if you decide to play General d'Armee you have enough ADC figures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading through it at the moment Tony, and it looks quite good. Once we get our gaming table back I'll be encouraging the guys to give it a go.

      Delete
  4. That is an excellent collection of colonels, Lawrence! You have done better than me - I always seem to be short of command figures in my games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mark. Gone are the days when you paid 100 points for one C-in-c and another 50 for a subordinate commander, and left it at that.

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures! I find that with most modern rules emphasising command and control much more, a large number of commanders is essential. It's good to have so many French officers vying for a Marshal's baton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. I much prefer the modern approach as it adds another dimension to games. There is nothing more frustrating than finding you have accidentally moved a battalion out of command and control.

      Delete