Friday, 10 February 2017

French 40th Line Regiment

Another two battalions completed, this time the 40th Line Regiment:


















These were also present along with the 34th at Arroyo dos Molinos where they suffered heavy casualties, and were similarly brigaded with them at Albuera and much later in defending the crossing of the Nivelle.


















I have used a mixture of the Foundry French firing, loading, and "at the ready" figures in an attempt to give the impression of a unit that is engaged with the enemy:


















One problem I have found with the Foundry figures is that the eagle standard was too small to accommodate a GMB flag, so ordered some eagles and poles from Front Rank. This is their standard pole which looks just fine on my Front Rank figures, but perhaps could have done with a trim for the slightly smaller Foundry French:


















I have also found I have to be a little more careful with the Foundry bayonets, having snapped off a couple when I dropped them, but am enjoying the change and will hopefully manage a couple more regiments over the coming month or so.

10 comments:

  1. Look great, see what you mean about the length of the flag staff. Also is it just photo distortion or are the grenadiers really that much bigger than the rest?

    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Yes, it's definitely a bit of photo distortion with my new iPhone7, and in reality the grenadiers without the plume are the exact same height as the fusiliers. It's also making the flag staves look longer than they are, but I'll have to take around a fifth off in future.

      Delete
  2. Cool, very nice job Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely painting Lawrence! your french look they are ready for some heavy duty action...

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I am looking forward to getting a quorum together so we can start to put on some 28mm games.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. The first French I have attempted for forty years, the last being some Airfix which I did with some Testors enamel and white house paint.

      Delete